• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 wd to 4wd

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
how hard is it to switch a 98 2wd xj to a 4wd? i have a wrecked 97 xj 4x4 for parts any hard wiring?

I'm by no means an expert but essentially everything under the body. You'll have to take off the 2wd adapter from the t-case, and then put on the t-case, and switch out the front axle, Then you'll have to get the driveshaft lined up to the t-case, which should be close to where the tailshaft of your trans used to be. You'll have to cut a hole in your floor for the shifter linkage, and wire up the 4wd lights. Then you''ll have to reroute the speedo cable to the t-case. Thats about all I can think off of the top of my head.

thats alot, i'm lookin for a newer xj, i founf plenty of 97-98 for like 1500 to $2000 but the 4wd xjs round here are are like 4000 and it hard getting a loan when i'm 19 and still in my parents house with out any credit. its even hard to get $1000 loan crazy

Don't give up yet....
I converted a 94 2wd to 4x4. bought a 4x4 with a bad engine, and installed front axle, transmission/transfercase, and drive shafts from the donor and bolted up to my 94.

The hole in the body was there, I just removed the blanking plate.

All the wiring was there and ready to go! Search on this forum for several articles.....

The transmission output shaft is different for the 2wd transmission, more than just a bolt up swap. Swap both the trans and transfer case!

ok but with the newer jeeps with the computer wat about the wiring? is hard? any splicing involved? i have a whole motor trans and transfer case, drive shafts. what about paper work? cause i want it street legal

NC inspection won't bother with 2wd vs 4wd systems on the swap. As long as it hooks up and has no service or check engine lights your fine. Not to mention, if you have it as 2wd now, then your insurance won't know that you've swapped it, thus the rates won't rise for you (V8's or 4WD jack up insurance)

yea thats also what i was thinking. i could get a 4cyl thats 4x4 and swap a 4.0 in it (dont kno how hard that would be. how to wire it up) or get a 4.0 thats 2wd and swap it to 4wd. moneys kinda low

userbmx1315 said:
yea thats also what i was thinking. i could get a 4cyl thats 4x4 and swap a 4.0 in it (dont kno how hard that would be. how to wire it up) or get a 4.0 thats 2wd and swap it to 4wd. moneys kinda low

if you're thinking you don't want to splice wires a motor CHANGE is a bad idea, simply swapping one 4.0 for another is cake, but swapping a 4cyl for a 6 can be a PITA.

the 4wd swap will require a good impact wrench, jack stands, and assortment of sockets, and extensions, shouldn't need any extra wiring, make sure the speedo gear is the same between the 2wd and the 4wd truck though an off speedo is never fun.

its plug-n-play if you've got the right parts, drop tranny crossmember, support engine with floor jack, remove transmission, (need lots of long extensions and a set of external torx sockets mainly e12 IIRC) and put in new transmission, try and just swap over the tranny/t-case/crossmember so you don't have to mess with the tranny mount. bolt up.

for the front axle, remove shocks, remove spring retainer clips, remove brake calipers (or remove brake line from caliper) unbolt trackbar, steering stabilizer, control arms, (anything that's attached... and eventually it'll come right out.

I did it, It was quite simple, all you really need is a 4wd parts car that you already have. Mine was a little more challanging, because I did and 8.8 swap, along with a 241 OR transfer case. I how ever did not use the standard jeep cherokee t-case shifter linkage. I run the YJ style shifter, that way it bolts right up to my AX-15.

The only thing you will really have to worry about with that year difference, is the trans...it uses another speed sensor, that the older AW4 does't but seeing as how you have a Parts car, I really wouln't worry about it too much. the front diff is a strait bolt in.

Justin

rockclimber24315 said:
I'm by no means an expert but essentially everything under the body. You'll have to take off the 2wd adapter from the t-case, and then put on the t-case, and switch out the front axle, Then you'll have to get the driveshaft lined up to the t-case, which should be close to where the tailshaft of your trans used to be. You'll have to cut a hole in your floor for the shifter linkage, and wire up the 4wd lights. Then you''ll have to reroute the speedo cable to the t-case. Thats about all I can think off of the top of my head.

I did the exact same conversion on a '98 using a wrecked '97... Easy stuff. Just swap the transmission, transfercase, front axle, front and rear drivelines, and shifter linkage. I swapped both axles so that i knew the ratios matched. As for the speedo you just unplug from the 2wd tail housing and plug into the transfercase. You do need to swap transmissions as the 2wd one will not work unless you swap out the main shaft. There is already a hole for the shifter you just need to pull the plastic cover off and the metal plate. You wont have the 4wd dummy light in your dash but who needs that?

It made things alot easier to pull the engine, transmission, and transfercase all at once.
DSC00096.jpg

Here is my jeep now 4wd
PB010057.jpg

Back