• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front limiting straps "mounting"

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
I bought limiting straps for the front of my Jeep and was woundering how people have mounted them to the front frame rails. The front frame rails are just sheet metal so I don't want to just drill a hole and bolt thru the frame. What are my options? Thanks

I used the existing bolts that hold the motor mount brackets to the frame. That and the axle end to the LCA mounting bolt and it works great.

T&A-XJ said:
I used the existing bolts that hold the motor mount brackets to the frame. That and the axle end to the LCA mounting bolt and it works great.
I believe my straps are 32 inch's, and my shocks extended are 29.7 inch's so I think they are to long to to mount on the engine & control arm mounts. I think mounting the straps on the front lower control arm bolt and somewhere on the frame would be perfect.

My understanding is that the straps mount along with the shocks. If you have 29" shock travel you need 28" straps and they go in the same mounting holes as the shocks. The idea is to keep the shocks from ripping their guts out. Mounting them any where else changes their application angle and therefore their effiectiveness.

check out TNT's site, I believe they have a picture of how they mount theirs on it.

I got the RE crossbrace that goes from the trackbar bracket to the other side and I have one strap mounted centerline. This limits the droop but keeps flex open.

Mine will mount in the center as Remi mentioned, but it's relative to the type of wheeling you do. If you plan on regualar airtime and your rig is built for it (doubtful, or you'd know this already) then one per side may be a better option. Also important is to know the stretch factor from the manufacturer, the all stretch a little, some more than on others. I've been told to buy straps 2.5-3 inches shorter to allow for 2" of stretch and still stop the shock travel before the internals start smacking together.

Well I have a strap for each side because it does ocasionally get airborn at the dunes. I think I need to get some shorter straps though for sure. I will take a look again but I am pretty sure they are to long. Everyone I talked to said mount them so you have one more inch of travel in your shocks.

Here's a photo of what I did. I welded plates to the "frame" and then the mounts to those plates. My straps are 12" long if I remember correctly.

With the clevis style mounts, you're able to adjust them some to account for some of the stretching or just for fine tuning.

Good idea with using a clevis to make it easily adjustable.

Kejtar said:
I got the RE crossbrace that goes from the trackbar bracket to the other side and I have one strap mounted centerline. This limits the droop but keeps flex open.
Im not sure I can see how a center strap would help limit the outer ends.

I have about .5''-1'' of streach room in mine. Another thread about it, picture of how mine are is included, free of charge.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=932057

2766420.jpg

You can use a center mounted strap up front like this winch is used, to balance the F/R weight transfer, thus maintaining front tire ground pressure on steep climbs. Just mount the strap with a QD pin on one end, give it a twist or two to reduce overall length and then hook it back up and climb your obstacle.

jeepboy381 said:
I believe my straps are 32 inch's, and my shocks extended are 29.7 inch's so I think they are to long to to mount on the engine & control arm mounts. I think mounting the straps on the front lower control arm bolt and somewhere on the frame would be perfect.

Sounds like you need to get some shorter straps, or figure out where you want them, then measure to see ho wlong they need to be.

Back