• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00' yj ax-15? in my 89' xj?

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
my buddy has a 2000 wrangler he put a vortec 350 in it with a th350 tranny. dumped the 2.5L and the 5 speed tranny behind it in his shop and he said i could have the tranny for 100 bucks. my tranny just went out in my jeep my ba10 so im wonderin what i'd have to go through to put the yj tranny (which i think is an ax-15?) behind my 4.0L in my 89' xj. i got a 231 t-case by the way. thanks!

edit: i meant tj! i dont pay attention to wrangler year changes n stuff sorry but its a tj

I dont think that the 2.5L had the AX15 behind it...?

And if he did have the 2.5L, I believe the bellhousing has a different bolt pattern, meanging that it wouldnt bolt up to the 4.0L.

believe its the NV3550

if its not, then its the AX5...

Last edited:
its either the ax-5/4? or the nv3550. either way woudl this be beneificial to me? getting a stock ver ygood condition tranny for $100 bucks or rebuild my peugeot?

The AX5 will not fit behind the 4.0 without modifying. If its an nv3550 they might have removable bellhousing that can be adapted quite easily by switching to a 4.0 bellhousing.

that'll be an ax-5 behind the 4-banger. stay far away from it, it's a weak piece of poop. i've a friend with a yj 2.5/ax-5, he's killed that trans twice. we'll be swapping to an ax-15 here shortly. i can't see one lasting at all behind a 4.0.

Back