• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UBEs, Pinion Angle & Axle Wrap

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question(s)....I know rear pinion angle should generally be set to 2* less than driveline angles for the rear pinion due to axle wrap. Does this change if using UBEs and setting wheel base back farther?

I was thinking about it and I plan to extend my wheel base back either 1 or 1.5" with TNTs UBEs. Setting it farther back and having the spring set offset, instead of centered over the axle will prevent axle wrap. So do I need to set my pinion angle around 2* or could it be set to 1* or even 0*?

Thanks,
Morgan

Drivetrain length doesnt matter,angles still need to be the same.

your rear pinion angle being set 2* less than the driveline has nothing to do with axle wrap....you'd want the same setting if you had a 4 link coil sprung rear....

2001XJ said:
I was thinking about it and I plan to extend my wheel base back either 1 or 1.5" with TNTs UBEs. Setting it farther back and having the spring set offset, instead of centered over the axle will prevent axle wrap.
Morgan
?????

thanks for the replies, I was thinking maybe since the UBEs would prevent axle wrap that you would not have to set the pinion angle to the 2* since that measure is used to take in to account axle wrap using shims.

2001XJ said:
thanks for the replies, I was thinking maybe since the UBEs would prevent axle wrap that you would not have to set the pinion angle to the 2* since that measure is used to take in to account axle wrap using shims.

Who's making ant-wrap ube's?

JNickel101 said:
your rear pinion angle being set 2* less than the driveline has nothing to do with axle wrap....you'd want the same setting if you had a 4 link coil sprung rear....

Is this really the case with a four link setup? Why I'm wondering is that the control arms will keep the axle a lot more sturdy under acceleration than the rear leaf spring would.

Then I assume one would also need to cater for the 2* on the front axle. I've been meaning to get clarity on this as I'll be cut and turning my front soon.

2001XJ said:

The UBEs won't prevent axle wrap completely. They have a wide design that will reduce the chances of axle wrap, there will definitely still be pinion movement under acceleration with the UBEs.

If you want some long perches check out M.O.R.E.,they are 7" long.
01.jpg

Im assuming UBE=U-bolt eliminators. If thats the case, then the only company that I know of is TnT Customs.

There is no need to set a 2* less angle for the front as it is 4 linked.
If you have leaves up front, logically I would think that you would need 2* higher if you are worried about the correct angle. But, this only really applies when you are in 4wd, and most of the time you are going less then 10mph, so drivetrain vibrations wouldnt be a problem.

Back