• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Krikit II

furrymcmonst

NAXJA Forum User
I followed the advice offered on the forum and purchased a Krikit II belt tension gauge. The instructions say it is for V-ribbed belts.

Are V-ribbed belts and serpentine belts the same thing?

If there is a difference, does my 1990 XJ have a V-rib or serpentine belt?

Is there a different gauge for serpentine belts?

I went ahead and used the gauge and tightened the belt to 160 but the noise the belt was making got noticeably and more obnoxiously worse. It now drowns out a "chirping" sound completely so it appears I have two distinct problems.

If I spray a light mist of water on the belt, the obnoxious sound goes away momentarily (but I still hear the chirping which is comparatively pleasant). I think I read somewhere that it means the pulleys are misaligned. I took advice and purchased the factory service manual but can't find anywhere in it that describes how to adjust the pulleys to align them. Any ideas?

furrymcmonst said:
. . . tightened the belt to 160 but the noise the belt was making got noticeably and more obnoxiously worse.

I think I read somewhere that it means the pulleys are misaligned.
Any ideas?

yea, Krikit II's are a fun little item.

Here's my rather complicated problem with a couple of belt chirps and squeeks;

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=921771

It ended up being a bad Harmonic Balancer.

Mike

Check your harmonic balancer, it is mounted on the front of the engine on the crankshaft. I bet it could be rubbing on your timming chain cover, make sure it isn't because it could rub a hole in the cover!

The Krikit I is for old school v-belts. The Krikit II is for serpentine belts, although the instructions call them v-ribbed belts.

Thanks for the answers everyone.

For those landing on this page as a result of a search, here is the summary answer.

The word "serpentine" apparently just refers to the snake-like look that the belt has because it is wrapped around multiple pulleys. Years ago, multiple belts were used but now usually a single belt is used and is called a serpentine belt.

The actual type of belt is called "V-ribbed". Older belts, as mentioned, were just called "v-belts" because they had a single v as opposed to multiple ribs. I found a good beginner type video that is worth watching for didactic purposes.
http://www.expertvillage.com/videos/serpentine-belts-what-is-it.htm

Also, here is a good page with tips on how to troubleshoot belt noises.
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1026

I haven't checked the harmonic balancer yet. The noise appears to be coming from the area of the idler pulley and AC compressor. Since the part was cheap and I needed the experience, I replaced the idler pulley. While the belt was off, I spun the AC pulley and could hear distinct clicking. I'm thinking it is the bad part and the clicking is probably bad bearings. After hooking everything up again, it still whines.

When I bought this Jeep, the AC didn't work and I noticed that there is a part missing (condenser?) that should sit in front of the radiator.

Yes, it started out as chirping and then a whine/screech developed and you could actually hear both sounds at once. The chirping became overwhelmed by the whining, though.

If it warms up today a bit, I am going to have another look and listen. I think the chirping may be gone now but I'll double check.

Compressor clutch bearings do go bad. In your case, with an open A/C system missing a condensor, I would carefully evaluate the cost of repairing the A/C. Others with the experience could tell you if the compressor can be eliminated (one option) and a short belt installed. I don't think Dorman offers a replacement pulley and bracket to replace the A/C compressor as they do for other engines.

FWIW, the parts house does not have a listing for a shorter belt unless it was a factory option, which may have the leftover drives in a completely different arrangement. Can't tell you how many times I've had to explain it, and send the customer back home to measure it with the tension pulley in the middle of the adjustment (very important.) Just in case you go that route.

Driving w/o A/C last summer reminded me how much I missed it - conversion to R134 will cost me a hose which is leaking, a vacuum down, and the gauge set I bought. It really can be cheaper to have a honest shop do the work, especially if I don't get it right and have to do it again . . .

Back