• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

freeze plug on back of head

ADam J

NAXJA Forum User
A buddy had the freeze plug at the back of the head come loose ( or so he was told). They are wanting to remove the head to replace the freeze plug. Is it possible to replace the freeze plug without removing the head, thus saving gobs of labor? Maybe disconnecting motor mounts and lowering the engine a bit?

Thanks!

Got that part. The question is, do you have to remove the head to gain access to that plug?

KarlVP said:
Yup. Get the old one out. And then tap the new one in. I will usually run a can of block sealant through after replacing a freeze plug.

There are two freeze plugs on the back of the motor. There is one on the head. You can feel it by reaching behind the head, between the firewall and head. There is one other one that is actually on the block itself and is hidden by the transmission bell housing. This is the one I had to replace.

As for the one on the head. I suppose you could try and replace it without removing the head but that is a pretty tight fit to try and drive the new one into place square.

Thats what I'm thinking too. Just felt it on my XJ and I would guess there is maybe 2" between the head and the firewall. They are a tight fit and you need to be able to drive them in with a little bit of force. I'm still wondering if it would be possible to lower the motor to make more room. My buddy is facing a $800 shop bill, and they are saying they want to remove the head to access the freeze plug. Just trying to save him some cash.

menos said:
There are two freeze plugs on the back of the motor. There is one on the head. You can feel it by reaching behind the head, between the firewall and head. There is one other one that is actually on the block itself and is hidden by the transmission bell housing. This is the one I had to replace.

As for the one on the head. I suppose you could try and replace it without removing the head but that is a pretty tight fit to try and drive the new one into place square.

There is one on the very back of the head itself, one on the block behind the tranny bellhousing, and 5 on the drivers side of the block, below the head. The one in question, from what I understand is the one at the back of the head.

89xj said:
isnt the freeze plug in the block below the head?

If you remove the intake and exhaust manifold you should have plenty of room.

Yes, the head is removed, but that was for other purposes. As you can see, to replace a freeze plug......it is not necessary.

Block1.jpg

good illustration of the 'other' freeze plugs... the one I'm asking about is the one on the back of the head. it would be cake in your case :spin1:

Back