• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 Hatch Rattle

hellbilly007

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I've searched this subject already to no avail (for the flamers). I bought a '99 XJ Classic a few months ago. My only complaint is the hatch rattles bad when I'm on rough roads or off-road. I'm a pipeliner, so I spend as much time off-road as on. I've tightened the allen head screws that mount the latch, no luck. I figured perhaps the latch was bad, haven't replaced it yet. Upon calling the dealership, for a quote on the latch, I asked about the striker. He explained that the striker has a spring on it (in the illustration anyways). Does anybody else's have this spring? Better yet has anybody had this prob?

I moved the striker in about a 1/4 inch, no more rattle, it does take a little more pressure to pop the latch now, but no more rattle. Jim

ditto. there are two bolts under/behind the bumper. Adjusting the striker is pretty delicate. There is a fine line between no rattles and a hard-to-open door.

Well, I moved the striker in as far as possible. Rattles even worse. I'm starting to think the latch mechanism is broken. It looks as if it's been backed into something. Appreciate the help though.

Jeeps aren't supposed to rattle? I thought that was oem standard equipment? :dunno:

hellbilly007 said:
Well, I moved the striker in as far as possible. Rattles even worse. I'm starting to think the latch mechanism is broken. It looks as if it's been backed into something. Appreciate the help though.

If the striker is in too far it won't latch all the way. Play with the latch on the door. Latch and open it while looking at it so you can understand how it works.

Also shake the hatch around to see what might be rattling other than the latch.

Back