• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are all front driveshafts created equal?

theoriginalscion

NAXJA Forum User
I went to the local U-pull yard today to grab a front driveshaft and some shocks to finish off the lift. Doing a hack and tap. First ZJ I come up to has a front shaft sitting on the front seat. Noticed it loooked a little beefier then normal. Some meaursements with a tape and comparing to other Xj's and ZJ's confirmed my suspisions. The axle side yoke body is larger almost 2" and the splined slip section of the shaft is around 1.25 wide almost .25" thicker then others. Aperars to have had dual cardan yoke welded on to a befrier shaft.
Anyone else got one of these?

It may be aftermarket. I've seen a few stock rigs that had a driveshaft replaced for this reason or that.

I got a ZJ front shaft in mine since I needed the length when I put the 5.2 in my Xj. The Zj shaft I got was for the v8 so it was longer that the 4.0 I had.

I cant find any differece in lenght between a Xj or Zj front shaft, took tape measure and they all appear the same. The one i found must have been a driveshaft shop special, it was sitting in a I6 Zj but there was a V8 right behind it, could have been from either.

Looks like it will make a good for a rear driveshaft for my hack and tap conver. A little beffier then most.

Back