• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Niggles

saxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be driving 3000km over December (1500km one way). My torque converter has been making a noise for the last six months, and it shifts hard between second and third.

The gearbox guy told me when it started making the noise that I shouldn't do long trips. My mechanic on the other hand, says torque converters hardly ever pack up and it will be fine. Does anyone have clear advice for me please?

How's your tranny fluid look and smell? is it nice and bright red? or is it brown/black and smelling burnt?

what kind of noise?

have you checked for loose flex plate bolts?
have you tested the tps?
is the TV cable adjusted properly?

89xj said:
what kind of noise?
A sort of whirring noise (You asked ;^) )

89xj said:
have you checked for loose flex plate bolts?
Where are they? How do I check them?
89xj said:
have you tested the tps?
No, how do I test it?
Its a '96 with non adjustable TPS, and performance is good.
89xj said:
is the TV cable adjusted properly?
How do I know whether it is adjusted properly, and if its not adjusted properly, how do I adjust it?

there's an inspection panel on the bellhousing, pull that off and shine a flashlight up in there, you'll see the flex plate.
Check it for cracks, and check the bolts for tightness.

Any updates yet?? Mine has been making a "whirring" noise also, sounds like a supercharger. gets louder and quieter with tourque converter going in and out of lockup mode.

Sounds like bad, and low fluid. May want to do a full fluid change and filter change.

Also what the hell is a "NIGGLE"?

Webster says:

nig·gle play_w("N0101200") (n
ibreve.gif
g
prime.gif
schwa.gif
l)intr.v. nig·gled, nig·gling, nig·gles 1. To be preoccupied with trifles or petty details.
2. To find fault constantly and trivially; carp.

Back