• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveshaft binding up after 4inch lift

bigbadwolf54

NAXJA Forum User
I just put a 4 inch lift on my 98 last week, everthing went well putting on the lift, but after I finished went to test the 4x4, and the front driveshaft upper joint is binding up I put on a 1inch transfer case drop to try and fix that but it still does it when I go 15 or faster or hit bumps in 4x4. So I guess my question is what has to be done to the front driveshaft after a 4inch lift?? Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Steve

The front is a CV at the TC so you could have a bad U-joint in the shaft. I haven't heard of binding on 4 inches. The angle has to get pretty extreme for that CV to bind. Front pinion angle could need adjustment (control arm shims or adjustables) but I'd look for a bad U-Joint.

Sure it's the shaft and not your trackbar?

Yeah I am sure that the shaft is making the noise. It was worse before the transfer case drop.

BTW, I think my brother bought a roof rack off of you about a year ago.

You do realize that lowering the t-case makes the angle on the front shaft worse right? If the rear of the t-case drops the front goes up.

i had a similar prob with my front shaft doing that after my 4.5 lift went on the only difference is my sye kit. the angle was pretty bad on the front shaft so i went and bought Rubicon Express upper adjustable control arms and corrected the angle of the shaft by pointing the pinion a little under the tc and it hasnt had vibes or binding again. also helped with my alignment a little. also check the u joints on flat surface in nuetral with a friend holding the brakes so there is no resistance and you can twist the shaft by hand, then check the u joints from there or see if the spline surface in the middle is shot (my friend had this happen where the joints were tight but the center moved around at the mating point of the two and two weeks later at moab it broke)

is the t-case side of the front shaft a double cardan(2 u joints) or a actual CV joint(looks like a stick in a can).

I don't know if they used them on the newer xj's but my 86 had a CV joint at the t-case and after a 3.5" lift it was binding, not from the angle but because it was fully extended.

if it's the actual CV joint you can swap the shaft for a double cardan unit.
the t-case yokes are different though you would have to use the yoke from the shaft donor.

later mike

Back