• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finished LED conversion

Higgs98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I thought i had swapped all of my interior lights out with LEDs, never noticing the kick panels (which i just took care of) but here is what i had before...

IMG_7239.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

tonight:
I bought LED back up lights thinking i'd be able to see a little better; but i was disappointed with the crappy output. The lights are nice but it seems the focus is for the light itself rather than the light it gives off.

comparison
IMG_7693.jpg

the stock bulbs definitely give off more light
IMG_7704.jpg
IMG_7701.jpg

looks better but defeats the purpose of the light. I think im goin to return them

But i was very satified with the way the kickpanel lights came out...

before
IMG_7716.jpg

after
IMG_7714.jpg

are those blue leds on the gauges? I wanna do that, it looks real nice.

where did u get the LEDs? thats sweet, i wanna do that to mine also. it wasnt that hard was it?

ty20404 said:
are those blue leds on the gauges? I wanna do that, it looks real nice.

All of the lights are actually white. The stock tint on the gauges (as well as everything else) gives off a different color.

Kyle Horvath said:
Are the LEDs still adjustable as far as stock dimming goes?

ya they are

userbmx1315 said:
where did u get the LEDs? thats sweet, i wanna do that to mine also. it wasnt that hard was it?

I got everything from www.autolumination.com. Its not hard to do at all.

I'll gather a little shopping list, maybe a write up tomorrow but I'm goin to bed now. thanks for the compliments!

Last edited:
How would it be hard???? have you changed a bulb before?
Iv had mine done for over a year now. The lights them self are very crisp and bright to look at. But actually do put out less light mostly because there one directional only. One thing he didnt mention is when installing on your signal or brake lights they have less power draw then normal bulbs. So get used to your signal lights flashing super fast cuz the jeep thinks your bulbs broken. They have kits to fix this error i personaly left mine so i can change lanes that much quicker.Go to ebay they have LED coversions for every light possible even HOUSE LIGHTS?????? Iv even seen head light switched to LED

I'm really digging the interior lights, that looks very nice. Yeah post the shopping list, I'd be very interested in picking some up!

What about the brake lights / turn signal lights. I'm pretty sure those are the same bulb's (at least on the back).

Tenny said:
I'm really digging the interior lights, that looks very nice. Yeah post the shopping list, I'd be very interested in picking some up!

What about the brake lights / turn signal lights. I'm pretty sure those are the same bulb's (at least on the back).
Yup you win party1:

k here it is...

97+ XJ Interior LED Conversion
By J.D. Higginbotham

I decided to take care of the dim lit interior of my jeep, and after questions on my shopping list i decided to do a short write up.

I got everything from www.autolumination.com. these guys are great, easy returns and fast shipping.

FRONT DOME LIGHT:

The center of the dome is a 44m festoon bulb. I soldered and mounted a 25 LED panel. This thing is BRIGHT. looking back on it i actually would recommend the same thing i used for the back (you will see below).

31mm_25led_smt_array_w_wm.jpg

Here is the solder and mount job. I mounted it with super glue and held lightly with a hand vice.

IMG_6717.jpg

finshed product
IMG_6729.jpg

The two side lights of the dome take wedge stop lights. I orginally had planned not to replace these seeing as how i rarely use them, but i had some extra of these high fluxes..

194_cs_w_wm.jpg

REAR DOME LIGHT

I simply took care of this with a 2 LED 44m festoon..

44_2ww_mark.jpg

Great choice, basic swap, and cheaper than the 24 LED panel i got for the front. I recommend this for both domes.

IMG_6502.jpg

KICKPANEL LIGHTS

Another basic swap, I replaced the size 89 incondesants with these BA15s matrix lights...

89_matrix_w_wm.jpg

the lights go right here.. (this is the passenger's side, above the fuse box. ont he drivers side it is behind the ECU plug in)

IMG_6509.jpg

Now you have all the cabin light done...

IMG_6721.jpg
IMG_7714.jpg

I have more on the gauges but need to make a second post in order to show it.

Last edited:
J.D Higg-LED conversion continued

Tranny/ T-Case lights

The same high flux wedge stops as before

194_cs_w_wm.jpg

You may have to dremel out the openings the slightest bit to make room. I then put a drop of super glue on the side of the light to make sure it stayed

IMG_6700.jpg

IMG_6728.jpg

DASH LIGHTS

For the HVAC controls you will need (2) Type-B Neo Wedge lights.

neo_w_led_wm.jpg

GAUGES

This seems to be the most popular
All you need is (5) of the same Neo-wedge (twist lock) LEDs but Type-C (bigger size). In order to get to the back of the gauges you will need to take apart the dash. This really isnt a big deal. With an electric screwdriver it comes apart in minutes
1. Pop off bezel around stereo
2. Put steering wheel at its highest tilt
3. Unscrew plastic underneath the steering wheel (at your knees), along with the metal behind it.
3. Put steering wheel back down and unscrew dash. It should pop out. The part that goes around the light control might be a little stubborn but mess around with and you can get through.
4. You should be able to gra hold of the gauge assembly and pull it out. Dont worry, its a plug in guage so you wont be pulling out any wires.
5. On the back of the guage assembly there will be (5) BROWN twist lock lights. Twist these out with some pliers and exchange for the LEDs.

Now the LEDs are polar sensitive unlike bulbs. Before you put your dash together plug the gauges in and turn the lights to make sure they are all working. If not, try turning the non-working lights 180 degrees.

While I had the gauge assembly out, i decided to re-paint the needles to bring back some original color. I used some extra "International Orange" model paint i dug out from years ago.

IMG_6510.jpg

I put everything back together and here's the finished product
IMG_7239-1.jpg

B]The Shopping List[/b]

Get everything in Super/Cool white

(1) 24 SMT LED panel (44m festoon)-------------------------$24.99
(4) 194 Supernova high fluxes W/ Heat sink---------------$7.99 each
(1) Superstar Festoon (44m festoon)-------------------------$9.99
(2) 15 LED Small Head Matrix Bayonet---------------------$9.99 each
(2) Type-B Neo Wedge LEDs-----------------------------------$2.99 each
(5) Type-C Neo Wedge LEDs-----------------------------------$2.99 each
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------$107.85 plus shipping
Keep in mind..

You could save some money by using a Superstar Festoon for both the front and back rather than paying 25 bucks for the panel.

You could choose not to replace the two extra lights in the front dome, eliminating two of the high fluxes.

a MUCH cheaper way of doing this is using Xenon bulbs for all of the cabin. Autolumination sells these too, on the same pages as the LEDs.

So do these lights plug and play, or do you have to snip the old lights out and then solder on the new leds?

How much brighter is your overhead dome with the stock bulbs compared to the 2 "spot" lights?
Just to clarify, you recommend the two lights compared to the 24 bulb panel?

userbmx1315 said:
with the guage cluster w/o the tach you wouldnt need as many am i right?

u mean pre 97? i dont know what the deal is with that dash, it may have a whole different setup behind there.

Starboard M said:
So do these lights plug and play, or do you have to snip the old lights out and then solder on the new leds?

How much brighter is your overhead dome with the stock bulbs compared to the 2 "spot" lights?
Just to clarify, you recommend the two lights compared to the 24 bulb panel?

plug and play.

side lights on overhead dome...definitely brighter, but i dont think its worth the money

With the center of the dome, its really preference. If you ur looking for a lot of light, the 25 LED panel works great. But ya i do recommend the 2 LED festoon.

outlander said:
I wonder how much current a full led interior conversion like this would pull compared to the stock full incandescent?

Less than stock. LEDs take up less energy than incandescent.

Last edited:
Back