• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ wiring - dead dash & running lights

tomarocca

NAXJA Forum User
Stock 89 Commanche Pickup;

Running lights and dash lights died.

Power to fuse; but short blows the fuse.

Disconnected the rear lights at the connectror; still shorts.

The Reverse, Stop and Turn lights are fine.

1. Where can I download a wiring diagram/schamtic for these?

2. What are the diagnostic assumptions for find the short? I assume, (but don't know):

a. the blue wire is the common wire for all front/rear running lights and the dash back light?

b. disconnecting the rear harness; will isolate the front running lights and the dash lights.

c. these are simple Hot+ from the switch; to ALL blue wires; through the bulb; to ground.

d. there is no clever ground interrupt system.

e. the black wire in the rear harness is -Ground.

I am having exactly the same problem on my '95 BUT I also blew something else up the power side trying to test it and now I have no power to the hot side of the fuse either. It has been suggested that there is a fuseable link somewhere and I need to know what that looks like and where it might be?
Thank you,

welcome to the world of renix wiring.

first off, check that the fuse block hasn't been eaten by brake fluid if it's a manual.

secondly, here's my experience with shorted dash lights.
The wiring that runs between the headlamp switch and the fuseblock for the dash lights sucks, it's yellow if I recall. My problem was between the headlamp switch and the dash lamp fuse. You'll have to pull the switch and run a continuity check from the dash lamp connector to the chassis. If there's 0 ohms there that's the culprit.
Have fun pulling the fuse block to replace it.

Back