• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check ABS ligh is on

turbovan89

NAXJA Forum User
It doesn't come on until I've driven 100 yards or so. Where's the best place to start looing? Wheel sensors? Oh yeah it's a '90 limited. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have no idea if a 90 XJ's ABS system works similar to a 01 XJ's ABS system but here is what I have cut and paste from my 01 XJ FSM... for what it is worth, it sounds like you XJ ABS system is passing the static ABS testing, but failing the dynamic tests, as it would take about 100 yards or so to get up to 18 MPH, run the dynamic tests, fail, and set the lamp on...

"Battery voltage is supplied to the CAB ignition terminal when the ignition switch is turned to Run position. The CAB performs a system initialization procedure at this point. Initialization consists of a static and dynamic self check of system electrical components.The static check occurs after the ignition switch is turned to Run position. The dynamic check occurs when vehicle road speed reaches approximately 30kph (18 mph). During the dynamic check, the CAB briefly cycles the pump and solenoids to verify operation. If an ABS component exhibits a fault during initialization, the CAB illuminates the amber warning light and registers a fault code in the microprocessor memory."

SO...I would guess that the CAB module is working, but you in fact have a mechanical problem...

hope this helps you - McQue

You might want to verify that your e-brake is entirely released...that will cause the light to illuminate....BUT I would search the "Bendix ABS" here and VERY SERIOUSLY consider replacing it with standard brakes....that ***tty system is a lurking time bomb against your life.....that high pressure pump fails, and NO BRAKES.....

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like for safety's sake I should just replace the brake system for a standard one. I have 2 parts XJs availalble to me for a swap but I believe 1 is a '94 and the other a '96. What years will work for this swap. Is there anything I can do before the swap to make damn sure the brake don't fail completely? Thanks again.

The 96 booster and master is supposed to be a straight swap. Should be a nice improvement in braking too as the booster has a double diaphram. It's a common upgrade for the older weak-braked XJs.

Well, I don't think that those brakes will instantly kill you if that HP pump fails. You just loose the power assistance from brakes. There is still the same fluid between your brake pedal and brake cylinder at wheel as in all other "better" systems. Same will happen if you loose your vacuum from '96 master cylinder thing. No assist -> hard to brake. :scared:

Probably your front wheel sensors are a bit far away from tone rings or the ring have rusted in such manner that the sensor cannot read it propertly anymore. Speed data difference from wheels causes it to go fail mode. If your ABS systems works otherwise OK, why not fix it?

If the pressure accumulator (pump starts when you touch brake pedal) is gone then the ABS probably won't work when needed and that is quite expensive part to get.

You have to ask yourself how much you like or need the ABS. ;)

-Kimmo-

kimlahti said:
Probably your front wheel sensors are a bit far away from tone rings or the ring have rusted in such manner that the sensor cannot read it propertly anymore. Speed data difference from wheels causes it to go fail mode. If your ABS systems works otherwise OK, why not fix it?

X2 - check simple things, like dirt in the tone rings, etc....

Quote: "Well, I don't think that those brakes will instantly kill you if that HP pump fails. You just loose the power assistance from brakes. There is still the same fluid between your brake pedal and brake cylinder at wheel as in all other "better" systems. Same will happen if you loose your vacuum from '96 master cylinder thing. No assist -> hard to brake." Perhaps, but that isnt the ONLY thing.....read on....
http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm

'nuff said...

kimlahti said:
Well, I don't think that those brakes will instantly kill you if that HP pump fails. You just loose the power assistance from brakes.
Quoting from http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs98f.htm

The Bendix 10 ABSsystem used on 1991-93 Chrysler minivans (Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Voyager & Chrysler Town & Country), Chrysler New Yorker, Imperial and Dynasty, and 1991-92 Eagle Premier and Dodge Monaco, came under fire for reportedly experiencing a high ABS pump failure rate. The NHTSA reportedly received nearly 2,000 complaints about problems with this particular ABS system, including numerous accidents and injuries (but no deaths). The NHTSA investigation found that most complaints centered on the pedal sinking to the floor causing a loss of brakes. The condition is often intermittent and occurs without warning.

Uhhhhhh. Figured all this talk would have ended since Im seeing no one here has actually worked with or even owned a Bendix 9 system. This has been talked about like eleventy-billion times. This is the Bendix 9 system not a standard ABS system. Its ABS "assisted" so that means its actually an pump controled standard brake system with the ABS sensors being assisted. The abs can be deleted by removing the ABS Batt fuse and resuming normal non ABS interupted brakes. The problem in the system is a couple of things. The ABS "assist" is crap with junk tone rings, shit sensors, and crap computer that sits on the floor and absorbs water under the rear seat. The other part is the Actuator that wears out (covered by lifetime warr.) the accumulator (only peice not coverd by warr. about 75 bucks) and the pump motor (covered by warr). Pretty much one of two things happen. Either the actuator wears out and leaks pressure past the seal and over works the pump, or the accumulator tears the blader and drops the psi into the system that overworks the pump. The pump is intended for about 3-5 cycles on its duty cycle. This will slowly drop till the pump cycles consistantly and burns up the pump. At that time there will be ZERO ................ zip no brakes. Speculation back and forth of what the problem could be is worthless since this has been delt with 100 times and the search on this topic will bring up plenty of info. Write ups are all over the net along with the "lifetime" warr. info from DC. Problem is, the system is junk. It either works or dosent. When it fails, you dont stop..... blah blah I have had this system, worked with it for over a year and decided when it left me not being able to go (worked but duty cycle was more than what I would have liked) to a 4X meet, I swapped it out in half a day, with de wiring all electrical for the ABS system.... hope this clarifies much for the ones not knowing about the BENDIX 9..............

Back