• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 Low doesnt engage

93_xj

NAXJA Forum User
2wd High , 4 high both work fine.

4 Low i have a hard time shifting it down the the 4 low position and if i do get it down to 4 lo position, it doesnt engage. There is no grinding, but when I am in gear, I dont go foward.

Would my TC fluid be possibly low or needs a change or is my TC screwed.

93_xj said:
Would my TC fluid be possibly low or needs a change or is my TC screwed.
Did you check the fluid level? You should go ahead and change it, it's easy. While your under there you should check the TC linkage for slop.

Good luck,
Jason

Oil level but don't change just yet you may need to do some internal work. Linkage at the same time. Luck

I have found the transfer case likes to be shifted in or out of 4 low when the vehicle is rolling forward or backward SLOWLY, like walking speed.

While in 2 wheel or 4 wheel high slow down to about 2 or 3 miles per hour then shift the tranny to neutral and shift the transfer case to low while still rolling 2 or 3. Works like a charm for me.

Ok, revival of an old thread due to some searching.

I needed 4 lo tonight, and when i went to engage it, it would not take. it would go into 4 hi just fine. I tried engaging it rolling, still nothing. When i pull all the way back on the stick, i can just hear a very soft clicking like it is just touching, but the gears are just clicking, not grinding.

I crawled under the jeep and checked the linkage, and it all looks very good. All the little plastic retainers are there, and they dont look worn or damaged in any way. In fact they look pretty new.

I have wheeled this thing several times, and never had a problem with it, and only used 4 low off road for wheeling. Tonight i was trying to back a motorcycle trailer up in a friends yard, and started to spin, so went to put it in 4 low to keep from tearing up the yard, and it would not go.

I checked the fluid in the tranny, and it is good, and full. Does the transfer case use different fluid? If so, what kind, and what is the best way to check it and or change it? I have the fsm, but sometimes finding the answer in there unless you are doing a rebuild on something can be a pita.

any help would be great.

Oh, i guess you want some specs, 97 xj 4.0 231 3 inch lift, no sye or tc drop. Never had any dl vibes.

As far as checking it, pull the FILL plug out and it should be about level with the bottom of the hole for the fill plug...or you should be able to put your finger in there and almost immediately feel fluid.

For changing it, remove the fill plug first then remove the drain plug (no sense in draining it all out only to find that you can't get the stupid fill plug out). Let all the fluid drain out (and into something obviously). Re-install the drain plug, and fill er up untill it's again level with the bottom of the fill hole.

The tcase should take ATF +3 if i'm not mistaken.....I know the FSM states what type of ATF to put back in it...i'd look in mine but it's outside in the Jeep and it's 20* outside, and nice and warm in my dorm soooo...lol.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Re-install the drain plug, and fill er up untill it's again level with the bottom of the fill hole.

One thing that'll make life a lot easier for this: a fluid pump. You may not have enough room under there to swing a bottle of ATF and still actually get it into the transfer case with a funnel or similar. Well worth the five-buck investment if you don't already have one.

Back