• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Injector rail removal

dutchjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I was replacing the exhaust manifold on my jeep this weekend and had difficulty with the removal of the injector rail. The repair manual says to remove it and also most listings on this forum make explicit mention of it. I couldn't get it to come off and didn't feel brave enough to pull really hard (I mean this is still pretty advanced mechanical equipment right?). Then I just decided to leave'm on, which would also ensure that o-ring seals would stay intact (which I would probably destroy if I did manage to rip out the injectors). That worked fine. No problem taking the manifold off like that.

So did I misread the manual and should I have just let them stay on in the first place? Or, why would anyone want to remove them if you can just let them on?

On a different note. The repair manual said I had to replace the fuel hose connections when I disconnected them for the removal of the rail. I have not done that. The o-rings didn't fell out when I disconnected them and they seem to hold out fine (also, the dealer parts department was closed in the weekend so I was left with little choice). Should I replace the o-rings in the fuel connection (jeep limited 1992) after all? They look fine and do not leak after re-connecting. If I should replace them, how do I do that?

Thanks!

There are two "quick disconnect" couplings on the fuel line, one at the pressure regulator and one at the inlet by the firewall. I've always replaced them since I had one leak, cheap insurance against engine fire. Just squeeze the tabs while pulling the steel fuel line out, then remove any "O" rings left in the female side. Replacement is simple: Push the plug in the female side, remove the plug leaving "O" rings installed, and attach the male fuel line until it clicks. Done. Dealer prices vary widely for this part, anywhere from $12 to $25 depending on location and the dealer's nerve. I also saw them at the MAKO store on E-bay, but in two different sizes, so I paid the dealer.

Back