• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumpsteer???

DurbElites

NAXJA Forum User
i just got a jks over axle trac bar braket shortened the trac bar two inches and did a crossover steering and i am not running a stabilizer. the prob is when i hit the gas it steers left and hit the brakes it jumps right, what the hell does that?????? the alignment is 1/16 toe in, trac bar is straight, wheel is straight, didnt touch the brakes but they were fine before and no leaks. any ideas????

DurbElites said:
i just got a jks over axle trac bar braket shortened the trac bar two inches and did a crossover steering and i am not running a stabilizer. the prob is when i hit the gas it steers left and hit the brakes it jumps right, what the hell does that?????? the alignment is 1/16 toe in, trac bar is straight, wheel is straight, didnt touch the brakes but they were fine before and no leaks. any ideas????

is your trackbar parallel with the draglink? they have to be on the same plane. I don't know what the over axle track bar bracket is though.

almost sounds like your left brake caliper is tight on the rotor, causing you to go left when you hit the gas...when you hit the brakes, the right caliper kicks in and pulls it back to the right...

I'm dealing with this right now. A crap trackbar will give you those symptoms, in my case it's the steering box is shot. I can "steer" the jeep by just using the throttle. It's horrible to drive, I can hardly keep it on the road. Going up to the junkyard in a few to pull a used steering box. New reman is $175.00. Good luck

JNickel101 said:
almost sounds like your left brake caliper is tight on the rotor, causing you to go left when you hit the gas...when you hit the brakes, the right caliper kicks in and pulls it back to the right...

It could happen, really.........:confused1

However, both a trackbar that runs on a different plane than the steering linkage and a worn steering box are more likely culprits.

i don't think it would be called bumpsteer, torque steer i believe.

another cause for the symptoms you describe are loose or broken bolts attaching the rear leaf springs to the axle, moreso if it's one side or the other. the rear axle starts steering under load, and opposite of load (braking).

Back