• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High miles winter oil

Castrol GTX....I'm guessing you're not gonna be in FL, so if the temps are dropping below 32 on a regular basis (or constantly) switch to 5w30 and get a block heater :)

Synthetic, I use Mobil-1 in all 4 of our jeeps, 10W30 and either Mobil-1 or K&N filters. You should also flush the cooling system, refill with 50/50 mix of Prestone and Distilled water, I would also replace the hoses, tstat and belt before you relocate, doing it at -0F is not any fun at all. Weather wise it's already at the 'not fun to work outside' stage as of this week.

Make sure you get your heater core flushed for sure...

CHVYPOWA said:
Nope I am relocating back to upstate NY. Better job and closer to my family. Thanks for the help.

-John

where in upstate??? just curious.

Yea ,use the synthetic,that way you can replace all the seals and gaskets and crap! 10/30 is fine in my opinion. You know ,just the regular oil that has been used for years and years.

Low Range said:
Yea ,use the synthetic,that way you can replace all the seals and gaskets and crap! 10/30 is fine in my opinion. You know ,just the regular oil that has been used for years and years.

Hey look its my counterpart!

I never lived in the NE, but a light weight winter oil will pressurize the oil system faster when cold. It's no fun listeneng to your bearings knock while the oil works it's way through the system. How much pressure comes second to how quick you oil the bearings.

Block heaters are better for your hoses and seals when the temp is in the teens. 10w 30 for me and it's easily colder here then in NY. I also use full synthetic and have since 30000 miles minor seeps but no problems at 129000, except my NSS. We set all coolant here to -32F. Flushing is a wise choice and check everything out before she gets chilly. Like in the teens I actually wear more then a long sleeve shirt then lol:rolleyes: I like it cold

Take a good look at Amsoil syhthetics. I use it in everything I have. Go to www.Amsoil.co and check it out. If you decide to use it I can hook you up with wholesale prices. And yes I am an Amsoil dealer (don't be scared we won't bite) get the facts. referral; # 495051
Let me know if I can help.

Use the weight called out in your FSM, which is probably 5W-30 for temps getting below 0*F. At operating temp, there is no difference between 5W-30 and 10W-30.

Back