• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pump rebuild kit?

UltimateG

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone here had experience with rebuilding a power steering pump?

Mine's giving an urgent death rattle, and I can't afford a new one right now. Kragen has a "rebuild kit" for 30 bucks, which is less than half the cost of the cheapest replacement.

But I've searched all over the net, and I can't seem to find much info on these kits. Is rebuilding the pump a difficult task? Will I need any specialized tools beyond my very basic toolkit? If assembled properly, how is the quality and longevity as compared to a new OEM, or an AZ reman?

Here's the one I'm looking at:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=PWR&MfrPartNumber=8561&PartType=23&PTSet=A

Thanks
G

'94 Sport all stock DD, 4.0 AW4

Last edited:
That looks like a steering gearbox rebuild kit to me. The name is power steering repair kit, not pump repair kit. I've never had to rebuild my pump so I cant comment on that, but from the picture, that's probably not the kit you want.

Pumps are like $65 bucks w/o resevoir and $70 with....I'd say its not worth the effort to rebuild one, but that's just me.

Last edited:
That's definitely the kit for the gearbox, not the pump. The pump is not such an easy thing to rebuild. To begin with, the pulley is pressed on to the shaft, requiring a special puller. The pump itself can be disassembled, and it might not be too hard to replace the rotor and vanes, as well as the outer race (not quite sure of the terminology here), but the front bearing is pressed on to the shaft in a way that is very difficult to remove without damage. That's always assuming you can even get the parts. Get a new pump, or if you're willing to take the risk, a junkyard one.

Side note: thanks for the link to the gear rebuild kit. I could use one of those.

UltimateG said:
Hmmm, I think that's not the correct picture. The item description calls it a "Complete Steering Pump Rebuild Kit" but the photo used there also goes with many other different products.

Here's an AZ version:
http://www.autozone.com/R,APP494775/vehicleId,1944302/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,2234/partType,00230/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

But I hear ya on the bearing press.... darn.
OK, I see that the autozone kit is for a power steering pump, but it shows only the bearing and seals, not the rotor and vanes.

If you're sure it's the bearing, you might be in luck with that if you can get the old bearing off. But if the noise is from the pump innards, this won't help at all.

Back