• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Holy $hit!

Harlee&Tahoe

NAXJA Forum User
No question. but I experienced what happens when throttle sticks today.
Redline @ 5500, (lucky nothing adverse happened, so far)
7000+RPM X 2= Dirty drawers:scared:
Went to pass and drop to 3rd, floor it, let off gas as I catch up to traffic and I'm still racing ahead, push the clutch and away we go, shut her down a.s.a.p.. Coast to a stop in suicide lane, try again, 7000 again before I could shut it down W.T.F.?
Popped the hood and moved stuck throttle and now fine, drove away.
Later realized floor mat moved perfectly into position and jammed pedal at W.O.T.

Morale: Keep it clean and secure floor mats

Almost had to prematurely look into a stroker:cheers:

That happened to me on the beach once. Turned out that the driving around on really bumpy roads and stuff had loosened the screw that holds the high idle cam on my carb, and it was getting stuck when i floored it to play in the sand.

Scary experiances indeed.

Welcome to the club. One of the stupidest things I think has ever been done is to make steering column ignition switches that lock when you turn the engine off without removing the key. Nothing like turning it off to save the engine and having your steering wheel lock at highway speed. Now that will give you a double set of skidmarks!

My RENIX era AMC has a locking lever to release key.
I only use key to unlock column then remove key for the day until I feel the need to lock it. Thank you mobil 1.
Ya just gotta have the sense to not turn the key all the way back.
Good luck during frantic moment

Glad everything's ok Harlee!!

You still have the gold one?

This has happened several times with my 86 2.5L and I just push the clutch in and punch the throttle and it unsticks itself. I definitely gets your attention though.

tgoff said:
This has happened several times with my 86 2.5L and I just push the clutch in and punch the throttle and it unsticks itself. I definitely gets your attention though.

Had that happen with my wifes old vehicle, thought choke was sticking. Snap throttle would drop idle, untill frayed line stuck. Spun bearing, metal shavings in auto trans fluid(toast)

Still have gold 2dr. I've kept it going after all it's been through. Everyone I know asks why I don't just go buy a new vehicle with all the "trouble" I've had. I just laugh, they would never understand the "Jeep thing".:gee:

I know the feeling all too well also-- had throttle stick at the end of the straight away on the track and managed to crack a thirty year old concrete wall in turn one! Lucky for me, it was in someone else's car and all I had to do was help bang the dents back out to get it on the trailer.

I had a 1966 Bug that liked to flip the throttle plate over in the carburettor, and stick FULL OPEN.

The first couple times were scary - then it was just a matter of pulling over, sticking it in neutral, and going round back to flip the throttle plate back over. It went from scary as Hell to merely annoying - and it happened about every other week.

Just goes to show who adaptable we are - once you recognise a problem, it becomes fairly easy to deal with. However, I do fully understand the feeling you had, since it was probably the first time it had happened to you...

5-90 said:
I had a 1966 Bug that liked to flip the throttle plate over in the carburettor, and stick FULL OPEN.

The first couple times were scary - then it was just a matter of pulling over, sticking it in neutral, and going round back to flip the throttle plate back over. It went from scary as Hell to merely annoying - and it happened about every other week.

Just goes to show who adaptable we are - once you recognise a problem, it becomes fairly easy to deal with. However, I do fully understand the feeling you had, since it was probably the first time it had happened to you...

On the other hand, it was my 71 Campmobile with a similar problem (though it was in a linkage that went over-center as I recall) that first introduced me to the "locks when it shouldn't" phenomenon. After the third throttle stick threatened to grenade the engine, I took the steering column apart and put a piece of tin in it so it would never lock again.

Matthew Currie said:
Nothing like turning it off to save the engine and having your steering wheel lock at highway speed. Now that will give you a double set of skidmarks!
Try having the vehicle stall while your in the middle of a turn running 80 on the highway.....the turn ends, and you still can't get the car to fire back up again, and you're steering wheel has locked. That was certainly one i'll never forget......damn Ford's.

I imagine that would be quite scary the first time! And I could see it being equally frightening the second time, too. :p

But you mean the engine saw 7000rpm before you stopped it...twice? And it lived through that? I know these are bullet proof engines...thank goodness for that...but I wouldn't have imagined it living through seeing 7k rpm.

carmike692000 said:
I imagine that would be quite scary the first time! And I could see it being equally frightening the second time, too. :p

But you mean the engine saw 7000rpm before you stopped it...twice? And it lived through that? I know these are bullet proof engines...thank goodness for that...but I wouldn't have imagined it living through seeing 7k rpm.

Now a third time about 7150RPM pegged until I shutdown that's where it stuck.
Floor mat now in the cargo area awaiting trash can!
Feels like sitting on a grenade until shutdown
:scared:

Back