• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS Codes 121 and 123

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep is throwing these codes!
Some info about it, 2000 with 220,000 miles and just over 1,000 miles on an engine swap with a 99. Only thing left to do in the swap is get the exhaust changed over, have an exhaust leak from the header not matching up perfectly.
Was driving on highway for the first time about 2 1/2 hours into a 3 hour trip coming off the interstate and jeep starts to run really rough. Pull over and check everything at a gas station, dont see anything majorly wrong 30 minutes of highway away from home i went for it! It was when i pulled off the highway the check engine light came on.
Got it home as long as i wasnt hard into the gas and stayed under 2,000 rpms most of the time. It's sat for a week until i could give it some attention, go to autozone have them pull the codes and these are the codes that i get.

Questions, how to i diagnose my tps? Searched for awhile but couldnt come up with the definitive thread on that.
Second, could my exhaust leak in the engine compartment be causing these codes?
Code 121 PCM determined actual input from the tps does not match the calculated input for the tps derived from the input gathered from other sensors, ie: map, iac, etc.
Code 123 PCM determined input from the tps is higher than expected for the current engine operating conditions

Any help on this?

StylerG said:
Questions, how to i diagnose my tps?
I used OBDII sensor reader [a bit broken now]. I do not remember what codes I got, but at some point my 96' was a little rough too, especially on take off. So I plugged ODBII sensor reader and the output from TPS looked really freaky. Changed TPS, sensor output good, problem gone.

Check and/or replace the TPS sensor. Exhaust leak shouldn't cause those codes. Basically, the engine computer noted that the reported throttle position didn't make sense with the other inputs. For example it might be saying the throttle is closed but the idle control motor had no affect on the idle, or the manifold vacumn is real high and the throttle says its closed.

Back