• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best way to go

haugen

NAXJA Forum User
should i get a 4.5" spring lift package that includes 4 31" tires and 4 wheels or just buy a 4.5" rubicon lift and buy tires and wheels seperate?

That all depends on what brand and style of lift you're talking about in the first scenario. If it's some cobbled together shitpile of add-a-leafs, blocks, and coil spacers, then I'd say absolutely not.

The way I've always looked at it is this: Do your homework and research as many of the suspension companies you can that offer the amount of lift you're looking for. Solicit opinions on here and on the trail about what works best and why, and which kits don't work well. Then save your money until you can afford the kit you really want.

Don't be the guy putting a budget lift on and then hating it and replacing it later.

I think you should work a Bastard Pack and some new springs and shocks.

Then come give me a ride so I can check it out:eyes: . I have read a lot of good feedback on them.. but would really like to ride in one :) before I do it.

i would not go 4.5 inches and 31's its gonna look funny. but i have rustys and they may not be the best riding but you get what you pay for and im not dissappointed.

alexer03 said:
i would not go 4.5 inches and 31's its gonna look funny. quote]

I think my jeep looks just dandy...

2036018772_da482abfc3.jpg

yea yours does look pretty good i think thats what i might do beacuse rustys offers a 4.5" spring package with all 4 wheels and tires for about 1300 bucks

Not to detour you too much but you may want to look at some of the feed back about Rustys. Also may want to look into Rough Country and talk to Jason ( GRIMUS99XJ )on here about getting a lift set up (he is the sales rep for RC). Im very pleased with my 4.5RC set up, its a great building block for a lift kit. Ive swapped things out for others to suit what i use my rig for. Just a thought.

There are 99Bazillion ways to get to what it sounds like you are looking for (but you haven't really said what you are looking for and what is important to you). You will also find that everyone has an opinion.

3 pieces of advice:
1. SEARCH, SEARCH, SEARCH, SEARCH you will find LOTS of info.
2. As said before, save up and get EXACTLY what you want (kit, pieces, or alternative) There are lots of good ways to go.
3. SEARCH More!!

Just for info. There are people who are not happy with Rusty's stuff, but there are many others that are very happy. Same with RE, RC, and everyone else. I think Rusty's or RE's 4.5" kit are both very good starts for most people. Nothing wrong with 31's on 4.5" of lift. With trimming you can fit 33's or even 35's also.

Michael

fubar XJ said:
Don't be the guy putting a budget lift on and then hating it and replacing it later.

i purchased the RE 4.5" kit with the blocks and add-a-leafs. wheeled the piss out of it for a year and a half and well....guess what i'm doing tomorrow......all new springs etc...:rattle: take the advice given from those who've already paid for there mistakes. save up DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME ! ! !

The RE Kit flexed like crazy, so don't get me wrong. it is a good product, just don't expect it to stay at 4.5 with the blocks and add-a-leafs.

I just replaced my front coils with dpg 5" coils, plan on doing the rear after I pay for my stylin purple truck next paycheck, so far the front new coild ride great, a lot better than the 3.5" rough country + spacer I had up front before, they also flex a lot better, noe I think my control arms and steering are the limiting factor to my flex rather than the spring itself,

well I should preface that statement saying I disconnected my shocks and steering to figure replace the coils, but the springs flexed a ton better on the lift, not I just need new shock and figure out steering upgrades.

mojojojo is definately correct, figure out your desired lift heigt and tire size, do that the first time. It gets expensive replacing a part for the second or third time to finally get exactl what you want when you could have just done it once.

Last edited:
Back