• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wat do i need to do to get a 97 HO 4.0 into my 87 XJ( NEED TO KNOW ASAP PLEASE)

tribal_4x4

NAXJA Forum User
my other post was what would be the cheapest way to go either rebuild or new motor. well i can get a hold of a 97 grand cherokee 4.0 with 95k miles on it. COMPLETE motor including wiring harness. will it go into my jeep and what would i need to do. i need to know asap cause my last chance to get this motor for dirt cheap is tomorrow

Hey for under 200 bucks you cant go wrong.
snatch it up play with it. If its to much work sell it
for more money yaaaaa you WIN!!!

Ok off the top of my head.

The 97 motor has an HO head so your EGR valve off the intake wont line up.
The brackets on the front of the motor are all different so you will need to reuse all the brackets off your old motor including distributor.
The CPS sensor and flywheel are different so reuse your old ones.
Your new motor is setup for open cooling system, your 87 is closed...Your choice. If you go open, you will need a new radiator and have to reroute some of your cooling lines.

Otherwise, YES it will bolt in. Its just a matter of knowing what your doing. It really isn't that bad. And you don't have to rewire the entire electrical system. All of your sensors can be bolted in, injectors can be reused.

The 97 is a HO motor so you may want to get the exhaust and down pipe from it as well. You can reuse your old but the HO design is better on flow.
There is a lot more info you can find on here. I myself have done basically that same swap twice now and its pretty easy.

good luck.

The main thing is if you choose to use the intake off the 97 (I would) you will need to make an adapter because your 87's TPS has to be used. Hesco sells one, it's pricy but if you're in a hurry, it might be the best route. I don't think you want to go swapping wiring harnesses because that means you'd be changing the interior one out as well, which means the dash too.

Back