• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper w/ Hitch...Help.

KodiakXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm researching rear bumpers for my '01 XJ. I've searched and searched this forum and found some info, but would like more.
I want something with a built in receiver hitch.
I've looked at the following:

Custom 4X4 Fabrication
Hanson Ent.
Detours
Bulletproof
Warn

Some of the above have hitches built in, some have it as an option, and some don't have one at all.
Please give me the names of other manufacturers. Also, any pics of custom rear bumpers would be helpful.

Oh yeah, It's going on a "Limited" package, so I'll need to wrap the rear panels to the fender flares.

Thanks!
KodiakXJ

Last edited:
Others that I'm sure will be suggested are Poison Spensivider and AJ's.

AJ is the name of a guy and his company is AJ's offroad armor. I believe he's in Iowa. He does very good work and his prices are extremely competitive. He will do anything you want. When I was looking at getting a bumper/tire carrier I contacted him. We were unable to do business. I would rather not talk publicly about the reasons why we couldn't connect. He's a nice guy and extremely talented. If you wanna know more about my personal interaction you can PM me.

-river

Also....I was joking about the Poison Spyder deal. They make some insane stuff but when I checked a bumper/tire carrier was about 1200 bones.

I ended up going with JCR Offroad sliders and bumpers. They have treated me great and have quality product too.

AJ appears to have capability to build a bumper I'd be looking for, to bad he on;y wants to be contacted by e-mail, and apparently, isn't replying to them..
The JCR looks good, but I'd have to modify the steel endcaps, or do they sell them as well?

Where has AJ gone ???

Also, I would highly encourage you to contact Martin at Rock Lizard Fabrications. He recently relocated from Kansas to Colorado and I think he's up and cranking again. His username here is GottaBeJeep (pretty sure that's spelled correctly). He's serious about doing business.

Nate's 4x4 is awesome. He makes great quality XJ stuff at a low price. He also integrates frame tie ins that are awesome and prevent hurting the unibody when using your bumpers for pulling. Here is a link to his site, I almost want to keep this my secret because he is so back logged, like a month out and charges $50 more to expedite you order working on weekends and afterhours. I'm really tempted to buy his front and rear standard bumper with hitches for my 98' XJ that I decided to keep as my dd.

Here is the link to his website:

http://www.nates4x4.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25

I want to give this guy props, some punks stole my crappy Olympic winch bumper and Warn 8000i, so I really upgraded with Nate's winch bumper.

Troy

One not mentioned here is:
http://www.detoursusa.com/

This is the design, its nice.. he's great to deal with. i got some shock mounts from him..

xjswingout01.jpg

no doubt
helps if you actually read it right...LOL
Iguess i should be sleeping..

Big Red said:
Nate's 4x4 is awesome. He makes great quality XJ stuff at a low price. He also integrates frame tie ins that are awesome and prevent hurting the unibody when using your bumpers for pulling. Here is a link to his site, I almost want to keep this my secret because he is so back logged, like a month out and charges $50 more to expedite you order working on weekends and afterhours. I'm really tempted to buy his front and rear standard bumper with hitches for my 98' XJ that I decided to keep as my dd.

Here is the link to his website:

http://www.nates4x4.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25

I want to give this guy props, some punks stole my crappy Olympic winch bumper and Warn 8000i, so I really upgraded with Nate's winch bumper.

Troy

x4. And he's in Michigan! We need the work up here!

I have his hitch bumper, and wish I would have gone with the tire carrier, but maybe the hitch wouldn't be as useful then. Well made, great service, and he'll work with you to get you anything you want. Give him a call.

aroncull said:
One not mentioned here is:
http://www.detoursusa.com/

This is the design, its nice.. he's great to deal with. i got some shock mounts from him..

xjswingout01.jpg

Nice diamond plate on the rear 1/4s! Did you make those or buy them? I'd especially like to replace the plastic bumper ends with something like you have.

Fish'nCarz said:
x4. And he's in Michigan! We need the work up here!

I have his hitch bumper, and wish I would have gone with the tire carrier, but maybe the hitch wouldn't be as useful then. Well made, great service, and he'll work with you to get you anything you want. Give him a call.

I'll take your hitch rear bumper off you hands if you want to upgrade to the one with a tire carrier. So you have just the hitch or the D tabs as well? How much shipped to 95610 Sacramento, CA (Citrus Heights). If you can cut me a deal, then I'll get you the $ to get the bumper you want. How close are you to Nate? I looked on his site and it looks like the same bumper for 87-01', unlike the front that has a wrap around for 97-01'.

Troy

I have the tomken, plain slab of metal with a built in hitch, uses a strap to attach to the frame rails same as the skid plate. Looked good new, their powder coat finish is not so good, it's peeling near the receiver. Probably going to strip it and rattle can it..

Big Red said:
I'll take your hitch rear bumper off you hands if you want to upgrade to the one with a tire carrier. So you have just the hitch or the D tabs as well? How much shipped to 95610 Sacramento, CA (Citrus Heights). If you can cut me a deal, then I'll get you the $ to get the bumper you want. How close are you to Nate? I looked on his site and it looks like the same bumper for 87-01', unlike the front that has a wrap around for 97-01'.

Troy

Thanks for the offer, but I can't afford it right now. I'll put a picture of mine on here if I can figure out how!

He's over on the east side of the state, I'm in Holland, about as far west as you can get and stay dry.

He shipped the bumper raw, with my name and address on it with parts paint-pen, via ups. I rhino-lined it and spray painted the inside of the hitch black. Works great, but I need to get a longer drop hitch for the reciever!

Fish'nCarz said:
Thanks for the offer, but I can't afford it right now. I'll put a picture of mine on here if I can figure out how!

He's over on the east side of the state, I'm in Holland, about as far west as you can get and stay dry.

He shipped the bumper raw, with my name and address on it with parts paint-pen, via ups. I rhino-lined it and spray painted the inside of the hitch black. Works great, but I need to get a longer drop hitch for the reciever!

Nate makes good stuff, I'm sure you'll be able to sell it when you want. Let me know if you do sell it because I'm not in a huge hurry, but since I sold my 2 ZJs in the past few weeks and am buying a house and selling my townhouse I'm a little $ strapped now.

I got my front winch bumper the same, with the parts pen address on my bumper, that's cool, it wasn't damaged in transit to me in Cali.

Go to imageshack.com, you can grab your pic from your pc and host it there for free, then copy the link it gives you back and paste it into the text in your post. This site doesn't have a direct way to post pics directly from your pc so you need to do just a little leg work yourself.

Troy

Pic of my bumper is here. It attaches to the car at the factory bumper mounts and with bolts along the frame rail where a hitch mounts. Beefy and good looking bumper from Nate's 4x4. You can see why I want to get rid of those plastic end caps.

http://i5.tinypic.com/23wr5md.jpg

Last edited:
Back