• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help, Radiator Cap

4x4fish

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 16lbs cap on my xj right now, it went bad. I looked for a 16lbs replacment but coldnt find one, i have here a 13lbs and a 15lbs. The 15 looks wierd(rubber circular thing around sides) the 13 looks like the 16 i have just less psi. Any one have an owners manual with specifications or does anyone have preferences on the psi (lbs) for the radiator, Thanks, Matt

what year is your xj? mines a 95 and oem is 13lbs... so i would assume all 96 and down with open cooling system would be 13lbs. 97+ should be 16 lbs.

GrimmJeeper said:
what year is your xj? mines a 95 and oem is 13lbs... so i would assume all 96 and down with open cooling system would be 13lbs. 97+ should be 16 lbs.
I have a 94, forgot to mention that, hectic day!!! hasta Anyways I think I'll go with the 13lbs, like I said, it looks like the other one. Thanks

4x4fish said:
like I said, it looks like the other one. Thanks

looks dont matter, that is a standard cap design and they come in # ratings from 7 to 19 lbs. but yes, the correct lb rating for your 94 is 13lbs

GrimmJeeper said:

So why does the 95 FSM show a 16-psi cap?

16 PSI is OEM!!!

Yes, I know the store computers always list 13 psi. I do not know why. I boiled over many times until I discovered I was using a 13 psi cap and that was not the default!! 16 psi is the default!

I have 4 OEM caps sitting right in front of me, 16PSI, every one.

?

I got a 16 PSI "pressure release" cap with the red lever. It's no different than a regular cap unless you lift the lever.....

But I'm not sure what you mean about a vented cap. I know some gas caps have a "pre vent" that releases tank pressure before the cap is totally removed. However OEM gas caps are not the "prevent" style. Is that what you are getting confused with?

There isn't. Open system = 16 psi.

However I think Renix XJ's with the closed cooling system used a 6 psi cap or something crazy like that on the plastic "turtle" tank?

outlander said:
so why the hell to all the parts stores list both the 13lb cap and the 16lb?

It was probably published on the internet at some point and somebody who was writing it, the parts catalog, from india, did a google search and saw 13 or 16 lbs on the seach results and just randomly picked the first number with out reading the whole question and responses :D :D :D

If you think I'm 100% kidding do a search on 'jeep radiator cap pressure' google.com or 'jeep radiator cap psi on dejanews.com
We're lucky we didn't end up with 7lbs, 10 or 13 lbs....actually we did end up with 13 I guess :D :D :D

Last edited:
damn looks like I'll be replacing my 13psi cap soon.....fawking parts stores.Guess I should've shearched here first before I went to the parts counter.:hang:

outlander said:
damn looks like I'll be replacing my 13psi cap soon.....fawking parts stores.Guess I should've shearched here first before I went to the parts counter.:hang:

If it's working, I wouldn't bother changing it.

Since I have converted to an open system I have been running without an overflow bottle because I haven't found one that fits in my cramped engine bay so I suspect that the low psi cap is causing me to slowly lose coolant....the level slowly drops constantly have to top off.

while we're on the subject can anyone tell me how much coolant gets pushed out into the overflow due to normal expansion?Thinking of just running a long hose instead of an overflow bottle.....like the old cars had.:farmer:

outlander said:
Since I have converted to an open system I have been running without an overflow bottle because I haven't found one that fits in my cramped engine bay so I suspect that the low psi cap is causing me to slowly lose coolant....the level slowly drops constantly have to top off.

while we're on the subject can anyone tell me how much coolant gets pushed out into the overflow due to normal expansion?Thinking of just running a long hose instead of an overflow bottle.....like the old cars had.:farmer:
My overflow bottle in my 98XJ goes up and down 3-4 inches in the summer. In the 97TJ's about the same but the TJ's seem to loose coolant in the overflow bottle, might be the angles and dangles...

Back