• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone built a pro-tools bender?

I looked at that but from what I could see, the max bend would be around 90 degrees. Anybody have any first hand experience?

Not the Pro-Tools bender but, I am building a GotTrikes.com Air/Hydraulic Tube bender. There is a HUGE thead on Pirate about this bender here: Homebuilt Tubing Bender on PBB

Actually just ordered the steel I need (plus some 1.75" .120 DOM I need for the Jeep) and it's being delievered on Wednesday (11/21/07)! :D Should be good as I'll hopefully be able to get done a big chuck of it done over T-Day break.

I was planning on building the one you linked in your original post from Pro-Tools, yet I wasn't a fan of the bottle jack and I figured that going to the Air/Hydro would be a wise choice. Besides the dies I'll be into it for about $250-280 which inculdes the plans, steel (had some of it), Air/Hydro Ram and hardware.

Just something to else for you to ponder. :cool:

I really like that Got-trikes bender, that looks nice and very performance friendly.

Please let us all know how it works out when you get the dies.

Thanks for the input, I am glad I asked.

GlueNTape said:
I really like that Got-trikes bender, that looks nice and very performance friendly.

Please let us all know how it works out when you get the dies.

Thanks for the input, I am glad I asked.
If you read the PBB thread there is WAY more than you'll ever need to know about the bender. Any specific questions shoot an email to Frank (Got-Trikes owner). I sent him an email with a few questions and his responses were prompt and informative.

I'll shoot some pictures after the T-Day break and post my progress. I'm searching now for the best price on dies...

Last edited:
I built oneof the pro-tools unit and built several extra pieces (the expensive pieces). Works great and can do somewhere around 120 degrees.

PM me and I will give you a cost for the extra pieces I have.

here is what i have extras of:
side plates
roller block
support bracket
roller
base plate
roller pin

first piece I bent with it (ther is alos a movie).
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2089384356

Last edited:
Well it's taken almost a year.....:rolleyes:
Seems that something else kept coming up and there never seemed to be enough time to finish it.
After making 4 bends I realized that pumping the ram by hand wasn't going to br alot of fun. So I picked up an Air-Over Hydraulic Ram from Harbor Freight. Muuuuuch better now!!
I still need to find a large metal protractor to use as a degree wheel for it.
Bender.jpg

Frank Z said:
Well it's taken almost a year.....:rolleyes:
I still need to find a large metal protractor to use as a degree wheel for it.
Bender.jpg

Craftsman makes a nice protractor that has a magnetic strip built in. I bought one when I was setting pinion angles. It would work great for your bender as well.

Frank Z said:
Saw-Wheat! Got a link by any chance?

Nah I just went to Sears to replace a couple of broken tools and it was just in their locked glass case right next to what I needed to replace. So I bought it. 'Bout two years ago now. They prolly still got em at Sears.

I used one of these benders for one job & one job only.. It's a PITA to use with guide bar & like stated before it only goes 90deg. Makes nice bends but no way to attach a deg ring. We did have the air over hydro conversion though & that part is pretty cool. I just spent the $$$ for a JD3. My 2 cents.

old_man said:
I looked at that but from what I could see, the max bend would be around 90 degrees. Anybody have any first hand experience?

hellbilly04 said:
I used one of these benders for one job & one job only.. It's a PITA to use with guide bar & like stated before it only goes 90deg. Makes nice bends but no way to attach a deg ring. We did have the air over hydro conversion though & that part is pretty cool. I just spent the $$$ for a JD3. My 2 cents.
Maybe I just haven't bent enough tube with mine but it works well for me. I picked up a pair of Starrett angle finders and they stay put right on the tube (magnetic) while bending. For the amount of money I have into the bender I'd say I'm happy with the results.

I'll post some pictures later this week when I get everything painted up and finished. It's just plain to cold to paint right now. :(

don't get me wrong & didn't mean to knock this bender, it's a great bender I just didn't like fussing with the guide bar. I did use a magnetic angle finder on the tube but it's not a perfect or the same bend evey time though.. If you have to put the tube back in the die for more bend that's where the fun starts!

RCman said:
Maybe I just haven't bent enough tube with mine but it works well for me. I picked up a pair of Starrett angle finders and they stay put right on the tube (magnetic) while bending. For the amount of money I have into the bender I'd say I'm happy with the results.

I'll post some pictures later this week when I get everything painted up and finished. It's just plain to cold to paint right now. :(

Back