• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor swap ?

zimm

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, will a 93 grand 4.0 long block fit in a 97 grand, the junk yard says there differnt how? thanks -zimm-

'Yard doesn't know. I put a 97 in a 91 with no issues. Therefore the inverse must be true, simple math. Buy it, do it!

the basic engine is the same although some external components and sensors will likely be different but swapping them wouldnt be difficult at all.

ok i here the the newer motor has a cam senor in the block that the older one dosent and also the location of the crank sensor? i just plan to use long block so every thing else will swap?

You might want to check out NAGCA.com. Other than the engines and a few front end parts, the XJ and ZJ are different beasts. I've had both, starting with a new Grand in '98, but now we have three XJs. The ZJ is something that most folks on here will not have had much experience with. Only '96 and newer XJs will resemble the electronics of a ZJ, as '96 is the intro of OBDII, and both vehicles finally shared much of the electronics.

sorry for the confusion but all i want to know is that the long block (block and head) are the same from a 93 to a 97? i was told that there is a crank sensor in the newer block and not hole for it in the older block is this true?

Back