• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj lift...rear sway bar?

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching but couldn't come up with anything.

lifting my 86 cherokee 4.5" and am wondering what to do with the rear swaybar. do you just trash it for scrap or should I be keeping it?

it will be primarily road driven but built for offroad so...I want to know do I need this and if I don't have it, what negative effects will I experience without it.

this xj is a 2.5 5 speed with 4.10's and 4wd...I will be putting a 2000-ish buick 3800 with a supercharger in it (already did one 3800 swap from a camaro into my 86 comanche so no biggy)

thanks in advance

They barely have an effect anyways, you can leave it alone, or toss it out.

When I removed mine, I noticed a little more suspension flex off-road, and a slight increase in sway in the rear. No big deal.

Some models (the ones with up country suspensions) came from the factory without a rear sway bar - so that should tell you how much they're good for....

get rid of it....

Some people use the mounts as bar pin eliminators....

alright, it's tossed.

I got a set of 4.5" coils and all 4 shocks for $50. I have a set of decent adjustable upper control arms, and building lowers with a RE superflex isn't hard. the rear lift will be the springs from a 2005 E-van. they're the same measurements from the front to the centerbolt (where the axle perch sets), and 2" longer to the rear. add a boomerang shackle and I'll be set. the arc is about that of a 3.5" rear lift spring and the length should actually offer me more flex truth be told.

hey keep us updated on the 05 e-springs - if they can net 3.5 inches of lift and stretch the rear that would be a great spring for people on a budget - is the spring 2.5 wide?

yep, it's stock width. literally bolt-in except for the shackle.

less than 1000 miles on them too, got them from TNT (club member, not the corporation)

Last edited:
Back