• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 unrelated ?s - Rear wiper and Fuse block

RTFM

NAXJA Forum User
1989 I6 5sp
Question #1
Try as I might - How the HECK does the rear wiper arm (exterior ) come off?
All I have left about a 1" stub off the motor arm. A local parts yard has several XJs that have good arms but I can not for the life of me get my broke piece off or their good arms off..... Ugh!

Question #2
I think (but can not confirm) that the interior fuse block (driver side) can be removed. I think there are 2 large umbilical cable and not direct wiring to the back of the box. Remove the 2 or 3 torx screws and pull the box off of the cables?
My box has seen better days - and the same yards have some boxes that look brand new.

Thanks.

RTFM

To answer your first question......I'm not sure what you are talking about or what this "stub" is but....to remove the arm, lift it, pull out this little retaining clip (it's kind of 'V' shaped) and that should allow the arm to come off. Sometimes, the gear from the end of the motor shaft gets stuck inside the old arm so you might have to pull that off of whatever Jeep you get the new arm from.

If, as often happens, your whole arm is corroded so badly that it broke off near the shaft, it's quite likely that the remaining stub is seized to the shaft. As noted above, there's a little spring clip at the base of the arm that should release it from the shaft, but it may take a lot of yanking and wiggling and force to get it loose, and if there's a risk of damage, you're better off getting a little cutoff tool on a Dremel, or perhaps a stub of hacksaw blade, and cutting it off. Even if you can't get a full cut, if you make an axial cut in the arm almost to the full depth, you can split it.

Once you have the arm off, this is a good time to R&R the motor. The shaft corrodes, and when this happens it will seize and kill the motor, either by burning it out or stripping the internal nylon gear. It's an expensive little motor. If you open it up, you'll find you can push the shaft out through the gear case, and clean it up, relube, etc. and keep it running for a few more years.

Remember that when a wiper motor stalls, you cannot stop it from burning out just by turning it off, because the park circuit will continue to try to park it. You must actually kill the ignition to stop it from trying.

[Looks Left]
[Looks Right]

Um... Clip????
Oh CLIP.......

That's what I missed.

Thanks.

Back