• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case drop simpe or more to it?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I want to drop the case 1/2" to get rid of some minor vibes. I have an 01 and i'm hearing it's a bolt on 20 minute job and then i'm also hearing that some have studs or something like that. Will mine have these studs? Please say no.

Its either easy or a PITA!!!! could go either way. On my jeep I had 3 bolts and 1 stud, on my wifes jeep heres has 2 bolts 2 studs?! i broke 2 of the 4 and had to drill and tap them. Just dont force them out, they are usually rusted on the inside of the frame rail (if your in a rusty car part of the world) just make sure you put something to support the transfer case when you take them out, and do one side at a time.

Backroads said:
Its either easy or a PITA!!!! could go either way. On my jeep I had 3 bolts and 1 stud, on my wifes jeep heres has 2 bolts 2 studs?! i broke 2 of the 4 and had to drill and tap them. Just dont force them out, they are usually rusted on the inside of the frame rail (if your in a rusty car part of the world) just make sure you put something to support the transfer case when you take them out, and do one side at a time.

what year is yours?

Buy the Skyjacker t-case drop. It will work even if you have studs. I had Rusty's and had to replace it because I couldn't get the studs out of mine.

muddeprived said:
what year is yours?
It doesn't matter, if your Jeep has never been tampered with before it will have 2 studs and 2 bolts. In my experience, the studs are the easy part, double nut them and back them out. Again with the ones I've done, they've always come out like that, and I've done an '01. On my brother's '01 the bolts are what broke but one of them breaking was my fault when I thought tighten was loosen :doh:. PB Blaster the heck out of everything, shoot it up in the frame, on the heads, everything, and you should be fine.

2000 - 1 stud, 1 bolt per side....

90PioSport99 said:
It doesn't matter, if your Jeep has never been tampered with before it will have 2 studs and 2 bolts. In my experience, the studs are the easy part, double nut them and back them out. Again with the ones I've done, they've always come out like that, and I've done an '01. On my brother's '01 the bolts are what broke but one of them breaking was my fault when I thought tighten was loosen :doh:. PB Blaster the heck out of everything, shoot it up in the frame, on the heads, everything, and you should be fine.
Except that mine were welded in. I think that's common on newer models. -- Just realized you did an '01... maybe they welded it in the late 90's. My '98 was welded, and a friend's '99 was welded.

I wanted to try 1/2" custom drop first to see if that works. I don't want to jump to 1" right away. My 2001 got 2.25" lift from 2" RC full length AAL. I got some slight vibes when hitting the accelerator. They aren't major so i know i can eliminate them with maybe 1/2".

If i'm correct the stock bolts are 10mm 1.5 pitch and i need about 45-50 mm bolts?

jmowens said:
Buy the Skyjacker t-case drop. It will work even if you have studs. I had Rusty's and had to replace it because I couldn't get the studs out of mine.

How does it work without lengthening the studs? i haven't seen a picture of the drop before.

muddeprived said:
How does it work without lengthening the studs? i haven't seen a picture of the drop before.

Skyjacker spacer is hollow and comes with a couple nuts that fit the studs. You put a smaller bolt down through the bottom of the spacer and through the crossmember. Then you just use the provided longer bolts to go all the way through the cross member, the spacer and into the frame on the non-stud holes.

88JeepXJ said:
Skyjacker spacer is hollow and comes with a couple nuts that fit the studs. You put a smaller bolt down through the bottom of the spacer and through the crossmember. Then you just use the provided longer bolts to go all the way through the cross member, the spacer and into the frame on the non-stud holes.

sweet. i am 20 min from 4wdHardware so i'm gonna go over there and spend $32 on the sky drop. Or maybe i should try 1/2" with washers first...i dunno. If i can find those $.20 1/2 thick large nuts, then i can do it the same way i did on my tj. I found these huge nuts that look like the round spacers in some drop kits and it dropped the tj's skid exactly 1/2".

My future plan is the porc sye and front shaft but not for a while, maybe next year or two.

muddeprived said:
I want to drop the case 1/2" to get rid of some minor vibes. I have an 01 and i'm hearing it's a bolt on 20 minute job and then i'm also hearing that some have studs or something like that. Will mine have these studs? Please say no.

You might first try shimming the rear axle to get the pinion down to where its again parallel to thee TC output shaft. That's what I'm gonna do. If that doesn't work I'll bit the bullet and go SYE/double cardon DS.

Rod Knee said:
You might first try shimming the rear axle to get the pinion down to where its again parallel to thee TC output shaft. That's what I'm gonna do. If that doesn't work I'll bit the bullet and go SYE/double cardon DS.

Yeah but from what i've been reading, it's a hit or miss with shims. Nearly all the t-case drop threads i read cured the vibes. i don't want a trial and error fix cuz $$ will just rack up and i'll feel stupid for spending so much on a drop.

muddeprived said:
Yeah but from what i've been reading, it's a hit or miss with shims. Nearly all the t-case drop threads i read cured the vibes. i don't want a trial and error fix cuz $$ will just rack up and i'll feel stupid for spending so much on a drop.

Two degree axle shims, which would probably be the appropriate angle in your case, cost less than 10 bucks a pair. TC drop it and you potentially compromise your engine mounts, which might cost a lot more than 10 bucks one way or another on down the road.

mines a 94, but like said it doesnt matter. just look under and see what ya got. The double nut didnt work for me, vise grips didnt work either. Overall it was a royal PITA just to take it out and put it back to the way it was stock in the end, I would definately check out your angles on the driveline before I did that, might be an easier fix than you think

Do you really have to loosen the motor mounts to install skyjacker's transfer case drop (or any drop for that matter)?

Also, wouldn't 1 1/4" drop be too much for a 2.5" lift and slight vibes?

Then logically, when I do my SYE finaly, it should be easy to remove my T-case drop?

Back