• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 Renix into 87-90 Heinz 57 Renix

Hesh

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I recently came into an 88 XJ that previously had a 5spd, but the earlier owner swapped it to an AT (unsure of what model year the tranny is from). Now, Ive also recently hydrolocked the 88, and bought a 90 Renix 4.0L engine to swap in, but im unsure of whether the 90 was mated to a 5spd or a A/T. Now being that Im going to be dealing with all sorts of parts (engines & tranny's) from all sorts of model years, am I going to have ANY complications with the electrical/wiring/computer, or anything else regarding compatibility so long as I stay within the "Realm of Renix" lol???

Please let me know if I will have ANY compatibility issues whatsoever, thanks.

Only things I can tell you for now...

If you have a motor that was maited to a 5 speed and your doing an auto now, check for a pilot bearing.

Look around the engine compartment area to find the two connectors for controlling the auto trans. Also look for another wire going down the drivers side of the trans back to the t-case. That is for your 4x4 light on the dash.

Otherwise, the renix motors should swap just fine. And if you think yours is a Heinz model..You should hear all the years I have in mine.

90 block
95 head
99 intake
95 trans
98 t-case
1988 front axle going to be a 79 axle soon
1990 rear axle going to be a 79 axle soon
95 fuel rail
96 throttle body

You get the idea :D

what he said.
Make sure that there's not a pilot bearing in the end of the crank on the new motor.
Unbolt all of your manifolds/accessories. Drop the new longblock in and put it back together.
Whether or not the new motor was bolted to an AT or MT doesn't matter, just use the stuff from your old one.

It was an HO head so the intake bolted up with the bolts..Just like stock.

No write up...Its just obvious when you look at it.

Head bolted up just like stock as well.

BlueGerbil said:
Did I get it right?

I just buy a HO head w/intake and all stuff and bolt it to my NonHO block?
yes, but you'll have to modify the renix TPS sensor to work on the HO throttle body.

Hesh said:
forgive me, im new to this, what happens if there IS a pilot bearing?
take it out with a slide hammer.
or pump the area behind it full a grease and insert a dowel with the same OD as the bearins ID, the grease will push it out.

Back