• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well, theres a first time for everything...

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
I've had my license for a little over 2 months, and I had my first accident today. I was in my jeep, stopped two cars down at a stop sign. Someone in a white mid-90's Honda Accord turned and didn't straighten out. She missed the mommy-missle(minivan) in front of me, and clipped my bumper.

All that happened to me was a pushed in bumper cap, a scrape on the fender flare(wich I'm probably going to get rid of all together), my bumpers pushed up and in a little, and the worst damage, me rim was bent and my tire went flat. Oh well, an excuse to stop my black Crager rims from catching dust.

Her car got a smashed fender, busted blinker and fog light, and a busted windshield washer resiviour. We settled for $20 to me for a bent rim, on account of it being her fault, and we both drove away.
I know this is kinda of a pointless thread, buuuut I thought I'd share.

So, what was your fist accident, If you've ever had one? Who's fault was it?

Last edited:
Funny thing, one of portland's finest cruzed right by when I was puttin on my doughnut(sad, i know. i need a fullsize spare.). I waved at him to come over, and he just waved and drove off.

I'm getting a new bumper soon anyways, and the one thats on there right now isnt even bent much at all. I had 5 Crager black steel powdercoat rims at home, just waiting to be put on. I hate the gray steel rims that come stock on Poineers anyways. I was glad to have an excuse to get rid of em.

Yeah i definently wouldnt have let it go for $20. Better hope nothing happened to the unibody. Even a black steel wheel is $60.

I would be suprised if anything happened to the unibody. It wasn't a direct hit, and it was at ~ 10/15 mph. She swiped the very end of the bumper and fender flare. The black steelie wasn't hurt, and I got them for free.

I can understand not wanting to get the police involved if you were at fault or you had been drinking or driving with no insurance or liscense.

But from the sounds of it everything was legitimate, why would you blow of an accident for $20? You do realize that according to oregon law any accident with damage over $1500 total needs to be reported.

I hope you realize $200 for a bumper, $150 for a wheel, if the tire was damaged throw that in there, Fender flares are about $100 a piece new from a dealership, you have $500+ easily on your vehicle, plus the damage to hers.

If she reports it to her insurance company to fix her car, if she says another vehicle was involved you could be in a trick bag for not reporting the accident to the state.

I have never understood the idea of walking away from an accident not knowing the total extent of damage on your vehicle and settling for whatever cash the person has on them, thats got to be one of the worst ideas I have ever heard of.

you will always find more damage later that might end up costing you alot more than $20. Even if you don't care about the condition of your vehicle, the damage can tally up quickly. If for example total damaged to your XJ were $2000, thats $2 freaking grand you can use for upgrades!

Always exchange insurance info.
never insult the other person involved
and never never accept fault at the scene.

My wife was in a little fender bender and it didnt look like much but she went to the doc and they said that she had strained her neck. The onle damage to the rig was a scrach. She ended up with $5435.00. for the rig and her. Alway take down the info and go see a doctor. Call you inserance and go from there. Poor XJ

I have to defend 85xj4dr.
I was there at the scene of the accident.
It amounted to a scratch on the black rubber bumper cap and a slightly bent rim that allowed the tire to go flat. Really no other damage.
The jeep was thoroughly inspected on the scene before driving it, and at home.
No other damage was found.

It was a very low impact “rub” that happened at about 5-10 mph.
I am sure that 85xj4dr’s jeep has seen harsher conditions when driven off road.

The offending “plastic” car absorbed most of the impact, the extent of which was scuffmarks from the Jeeps bumper cap and two broken light lenses.
Insurance info was exchanged.
Witness info was collected.
The other driver admitted fault to 85xj4dr, me, and several other witnesses.
Everything was handled correctly.
It was mutually agreed that the accidents lack of severity did not warrant contacting the insurance companies.
I doubt the combined value of both vehicles would exceed $2500.00.
If it was a “new” jeep and/or a newer car, I am sure that the outcome would have been very different.

BTW, police in Portland will rarely, if ever stop for a “fender-bender” unless it is blocking traffic or injuries have been sustained.

Last edited:
Haha, I only took one crappy cell phone picture of her car. It doesn't look like much, but it wasnt a super hard hit.

here ya go.

hondafender.jpg

Back