• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange ticking noise on engine shutdown...

XJ AV8R

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here is a wierd one... A couple of days ago my 1991 XJ 4.0L started making a strange ticking sound after shutting off the engine. The ticking sounds similar to hot metal cooling but this isn't what it is. The engine can be cold and it will still do it after a short run (10 seconds or less). Along with the ticking, I can hear the oil draining back into the oil pan. When the oil finishes draining to the pan the ticking immediately stops. These two sounds are definitely associated with each other. My oil pressure is the same as always, the coolant temperature is good, and the motor runs as strong as ever. No operational problems yet, but I am wondering if this is a sign of future trouble. Has anyone ever experienced this??

Thanks
AX-15 5 Speed
NP 231
3" Skyjacker Lift
YJ front brake lines
JKS quicker disconnects
31" BFG Mud Terrain KM
A host of junkyard parts...

Could be the exhaust manifold. Besides cracking, that "ticks". Just the metal cooling down. Could be any component of your exhaust really, although the manifold would be the hottest.

The ticking is your motor getting ready to :explosion....ha ha ha...just kidding.

The ticking is probably just one of a million different things coolings off and I hear the oil on mine too, but it's not something I normally notice, only if I'm listening for it or it's REALLY quiet.

Back