• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need an alignment in/near san diego

It takes 3 minutes

measure.jpg

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-48.htm

hey i have that same tape measure, its been dropped twice from 4+ stories, run over by a f450, fallen out of a moving pickup and picked up the next day on the way back to the job site, and its still kickin!

Not to mention you did your front end alignment with it.

in my driveway. ;)

same diff. Give the OP an idea of how easy it was, and how much he'd be wasting cash going to a shop.

the only thing a shop will do is set the toe. do it yourself.

silent_bob_662001 said:

They usually try and sell you offset balljoints too.. which if you wheel your rig as hard as i do, you probably don't want. I've never actually seen one break but a LOT of people seem to feel they are weak.

big black... seriously it takes 5 mins with a tape measure.. just loosen the locknuts on each tie rod end (the ones that go into the knuckles in the wheels) and rotate the bar to set toe in to around 1/8 ". pick a spot in the tread pattern to measure from front and back, and see what the difference is. you want the number on the front to be 1/8" smaller than the back. rotate the bar a couple times and measure again, to see if you are turning the right way. once you get it pretty close to 1/8 tighten the locknuts back up and you are good to go!

Just measure from the same point in front and back of the tire, have someone hold it. Shoot for about 1/8" toe in.

silent_bob_662001 said:
I just had mine aligned at a shop yesterday.My caster was off and they shimmed the lower arms to adjust. (And they tried to sell me adjustable ball joints,lol)
The shop was New Century Tire in Westminster.

Try Milo Jhonson in Escondido, any search will bring up the address. Good shop as far as modified rigs go, plus he will set caster to any spec you want. Of course if you don't have adjustable arms, then ya you are just throwing money away.

XJ858 said:
Of course if you don't have adjustable arms, then ya you are just throwing money away.

Look at your lower control arm pockets. There is an adjuster at the frame end, and shims go behind them to adjust caster. My jeep is a little bent, so I have .250" behind one side and not the other to keep an equal wheelbase.

Back