• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mileage

Mines got 159K and its a beast still. leaks a little oil here and there but nothin else. Doesn't help that i drive it like i stole it. My freind wheels one with 265k and all he had done(besides the nessesities for a 4.5'' lift) is the rear main seal.

I've got one in the field out behind the house that hasn't run in about 2 years... its got 329,000 miles and obviously leaked like a mfer.
Mine has 165k and runs strong as I could ask for. Only problem I ever had was a blown head gasket.

mine is a 1990, 106k miles on the engine. Had lotsa little problems that were due to the previous owners neglect, but most of it's been regular stuff that would go wrong on an old vehicle anyways. I did the rear main seal shortly after I bought it at 100k..same thing, it sat for a while and the seal hardened up a bit and let loose after an oil change with detergent package. It bothered me that it leaked oil, so I fixed it..wasn't a big deal. Besides that I have good compression, it doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil between changes. I keep fixing little things, which doesn't cost me much since I can do the work myself.

My engine makes some bad lifter noise sometimes though. I can hear 2 of them "sounding off" randomly here and there for a second or two. Freaked the hell out of me at first, now I'm used to it. It still bothers me a bit but not too much. It's an 4.0l..it's a crude beast prone to spewing emmissions, guzzling gas, leaking oil and making some pretty scary noises at times, but a freaking solid one at that.

97 has 162k, always starts, makes some lifter noise, leaks some oil, runs strong no major problems.
98 has 94k, always starts runs strong, smokes the tires. no major problems.
Remember to take care of the little things, oil changes and keep things tuned and properly tightened, manifold etc.
Got a buddy that has a 95 with over 300k, we both swear by these XJ's. His motto is "run it till it dies".
I figure he has another 100k to go.

Last edited:
I inherited a lot of problems when I bought my 91, but it is mostly age issues. What have I done so far aside from lift stuff, etc?
Required due to failure;
-new gas tank
-new tranny line
-oil filter adapter o rings
-exhaust manifold/downpipe (just finished ten minutes ago)
-coil
-brake lines/rotors/calipers/drums
-U Joint driver side
The usual tune up stuff
I have a 91 with 163K and it runs Strong! Great power/torque.

i have a 90 with 161000 and its been thru hell n back, the last injector hates the highway, it'll get clogged here and there, leaks lil oil, used to leak tranny fluid, but stopped on it own, cat rattles like crazy when sittin still. smell of gas when i slam on breaks and walk to the back, , but it still runs, thats the most part, i got it for $800 what can you rele expect, but i'm lookin at a newer on like a 97+

mine is an 88 xj, ~330,000 miles on it (odo reads 312,000, but it's had 30" tires on it for over 180,000 of those miles), rear main leaks, but that's it

runs good, but engine is getting pretty tired

I got a 99 with about 116k on it. The woman that owned it before me was a little nuts and fixed everything as soon as it was a problem and then some. The glove was full of receipts when I bought it at 95k. Only things I have had to fix are a small coolant leak and the PITA window lock switch/door and hatch broken wires. Other than that just leaks a little bit of oil and is still a torquey beast.

My current XJ is an '87 with 232,XXX on it. I fixed the rear main, it's had a head/valve job done about 10,000 ago and I don't think I could have asked for it to run any better. It smokes just a little if I get down on the skinny pedal on the highway or something. It doesn't leak any oil, hardly "uses" oil and starts right up for me every morning!

My '95 has 215,000 kms on it, when I bought it last year it had a bent pushrod and worn camshaft. The head has been completely re-built with new high performance camshaft, valve springs etc, but the bottom end seemed to be fine. Everything else goes well, no sign of anything else major needing to be replaced

My '98 has 150xxx and still runnin strong. Bought it used with 129xxx changed plugs/wires and all fluids. Makes a little lifter noise but runs like a raped ape!! :greensmok

139k runs like a champ i can smoke the tires all day long.

i have a 97 with 180955 (i know this because i realized im coming up on an oil change) runs like brand new! except for the check valve spring in the fuel pump went and the previous owner rigged up a primer button that you hold before you start it. other than that, its perfect. i know these engines will go 300,000 with the proper care.

99 193xxx smooth and quite still, it was louder when i got it at 150xxx and have used full synthetic oil since, and it has progressivly gotten smoother and quieter. just treat it nice and it will do the same for you

My 87 is going to roll 75,000 miles before christmas. Yesterday I'd have told you it was the second most reliable vehicle I'd ever owned.

Last night I'd have told you it was a cheap whore and should be burned.

brokejeep.jpg

After discovering my distributor has been broken for as long as I have owned the car, and putting a new one in, this is for sure one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Back