• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual controls

vintagespeed

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting bored with my Heep buildup so I'm thinking of adding a second set of controls to the passenger side of my junk. That way in the rocks I can just switch sides if I need to see what the passenger side is doing. Anyone done this mod before?

:worship:

hmmm... all the controls? or just the steering wheel and the pedals? Drving schools would be a good place to start. only thing they are experts at riggin up brake pedals for the pass side... as for the gas... go to the boneyard take the pedal brakets off a XJ, go home install it on the pass side. rig up a pedal for it. run a second cable to your throttle body.(it has 3 attachments one for throttle one for cruise and other for AW4 controls) so that would be the easy part...
as for the steering wheel, you need to get some sort of a ring gear btween the colum and the wheel. then rig up the a steering wheel on the pass w/ring gear. then throw on a belt attached to the two ring gears.

thats would probably be your best/easiest bet:D

good lck, this wood be an interesting project:D

Why not just check out the OEMR catalogues at your local and look up the RHD parts? IIRC, most of the differences between RHD/LHD were in the IP and controls anyhow...

I'd have to find them, but I should have OEMR catalogues somewhere. We just moved, so gimme a month or so!

5-90

5-90 said:
Why not just check out the OEMR catalogues at your local and look up the RHD parts? IIRC, most of the differences between RHD/LHD were in the IP and controls anyhow...

I'd have to find them, but I should have OEMR catalogues somewhere. We just moved, so gimme a month or so!

5-90

Sorry to hijack this thread but one of the things I'd love to do is to buy a RHD, build it up and wheel with it.

Isn't the steering box on a RHD cherokee mounted on the right frame rail?

Good one, Jim. :D

Are you about ready to do some wheeling? Best way to alleviate boredom......even better than playing with heads around here. :)

Back