• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Redefining the front end

feerocknok

NAXJA Forum User
I was interested in redefing my MJs front end to the 97+ style, but it is an '86, and as I understand it, the fenders are slightly different, as is the hood.

Would it be any different to redefine an '86 as it would be to redefine an '87-96?

Front panel, grill, headlight bezels (that's what the surrounding area is called?), fenders, blinkers. Anything else?

feerocknok said:
I was interested in redefing my MJs front end to the 97+ style, but it is an '86, and as I understand it, the fenders are slightly different, as is the hood.

Would it be any different to redefine an '86 as it would be to redefine an '87-96?

Front panel, grill, headlight bezels (that's what the surrounding area is called?), fenders, blinkers. Anything else?

hood maybe?

Thank you for the link, but I understand on the 87+ models, just don't know on the '84-'86 models. Things are slightly different.

Was thinking the hood, but I'm not sure. It'd be nice to be able to keep my hood, so I don't have to worry about latches or anything, if they changed.

Last edited:
Ya know I did the front end swap to my 90(not that that really helps you any) but I don't see any reason your hood won't work. The fenders everyone claims stayed the same from 84-96 and the header then just bolts up to them. The hood may be a little different but even changing the header panel you're not screwing with latches. I dunno I say go for it, its quite a deal once its all done.
Picture027.jpg

BigBlackHeep said:
Ya know I did the front end swap to my 90(not that that really helps you any) but I don't see any reason your hood won't work. The fenders everyone claims stayed the same from 84-96 and the header then just bolts up to them. The hood may be a little different but even changing the header panel you're not screwing with latches. I dunno I say go for it, its quite a deal once its all done.
Picture027.jpg
the mirrors from a newer style XJ, did they just bolt up to you old doors? if not what type of mods did you have to do?

Cfunnk said:
the mirrors from a newer style XJ, did they just bolt up to you old doors? if not what type of mods did you have to do?
Yes they did, they are an easy swap and you gain a lot more vision.

My 85 hood had a single latch in the center, whereas my 87, 88, 89 and 98 had/have two latches, one left and one right. Not sure how the 85 upper radiator crossmember would adapt to the 97+ grill header if you try to combine them.

Just use the new style upper radiator plate with the new style hood, or just switch evrything BUT the hood and call it a day. The biggest thing between the hoods that I have noticed is that the newer hoods look slightly "bowed", but everything still lines up with my old hood. By the way, this is on a 1984 XJ.

Back