• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smoke coming out of the steering column

bobwatford123

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and found a couple of threads on this but they didn't really narrow it down for me. My Cherokee is a 1990, and on acceleration smoke comes out of the steering column. I'm not sure if it's smoke or exaust or what. Could it be exaust coming out the steering column but no where else? When I stop and pop the hood I can't see a bunch of smoke or exaust or anything, not that I probably would be able too. Wouldn't the steering column be fairly sealed from the engine compartment? Or could it be some wires burning in the column? It's been this way a while and seems to be getting worse. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't post much here but whenever I have a problem I do a search and usually come up with the answer from that.

Got something else to drive while you work on this? Sounds like you're working steadily towards a rather nasty fire at this rate, and I'd suggest you park it (and disconnect the battery when you're not working on it) until you get this sorted.

It sounds like a short in the column - do all the usual column-mounted functions (wipers, high beams, turn signals, cruise, etc.) work properly?

Also, what happens if you just rev the engine in neutral or park? Any smoke?

Rob

I would take a good look at the igntion switch. Pull the fat connectors out of it and see if any of them are burnt. Mine almost roasted one day. It is on top of the column, right above your shins. Not the easiest access to change, but you need to check that out before your Jeep burns to the ground. I ended up laying upside down with my head where my feet would normally be. I realize this is not an option for a lot of people, so pulling the dirver's seat will be easier on the body.

Edit: What does the smoke smell like? Exhaust/engine fumes should smell quite different than electrical smoke.

Removing the lower dash (above your feet) is an easy task and allows alot better view of the wires "down there" too so you don't have to do some crazy body angles like mentioned.

It doesn't really smell like burning wires. The entire thing kind of smells a little gassy whenever it runs so it's kind of hard to tell. But if anything I would say it doesn't really smell much like physical burning ie wiring.
It's currently at my parents house (I left it there while I'm going to be touching up some rust etc) so I'll check out some of your suggestions tomorrow. The thing is not worth putting too much money into so I'm just trying to keep it driveable for now (without dying from inhaling exaust or something :flamemad:
I'll call my dad and tell him to disconnect the battery for now though just in case.
So nobody thinks it could be exhaust though? Is it possible for the exaust to somehow be coming up the column like that? I would think it would be fairly sealed from the engine compartment.

Yes I see smoke. It's the smell I'm questioning. It's enough that I have to open my window and you can see the smoke wafting up out the window. I'm just not sure whether it's burning smoke or exaust or maybe some other engine 'byproduct'. I'll put it this way, if I don't do my window down it reminds me of my highschool days sitting in a vehicle and barely being able to see out the front window:smoker:
(Yes that is an eggageration but it does get fairly hazy).

Last edited:
Someone stash a bale of reefer under your heep ? :dunno:

Steve_Moore said:

When i read that, i damn near spit beer all over my computer, lol!

Seriously tho.....is the Jeep a tilt column? My dads GMC van did the same thing, but only when the column was titled just right....it would smoke as you desribed.....turned out the turn signal switch in the dash was shorting out......im no mechanic....but thats my 2 pennies. :wierd:

Steve_Moore said:

When i read that, i damn near spit beer all over my computer, lol!

Seriously tho.....is the Jeep a tilt column? My dads GMC van did the same thing, but only when the column was titled just right....it would smoke as you desribed.....turned out the turn signal switch in the dash was shorting out......im no mechanic....but thats my 2 pennies. :wierd:

bobwatford123 said:
It doesn't really smell like burning wires. The entire thing kind of smells a little gassy whenever it runs so it's kind of hard to tell.

Sounds like exhaust, or something dripping on the manifold. Without looking, it could be the shaft seal is shot (I think its just foam anyway down there and its allowing exhaust to come in.

Hear any loud exhaust sounds? I could see it being the typical cracked exhaust manifold or maybe the donut at the downpipe. I know I had a small exhaust leak at #6 exhaust and it stunk things up good.

There is definitly a difference in smell between electrical smoke and exhaust smoke. I'm not quite sure how to describe the two different smells thru my laptop but Ya need to know what you're workin with.

That happened to me once, little wisp of smoke from around the turn signal stalk.

The next day, the windshield washer quit working.

If you have smoke on acceleration, blowby from the crankcase may be getting vented under the hood and feeding an opening in the firewall, like a steering shaft grommet that's cracked or missing, not to mention the crazy 1/2" pvc line to the charcoal can which runs across the firewall. So suspect things like that when looking under the hood for a source.

If it was electrical it shouldn't be acceleration dependent, it should be burnt out already - zzt, done, charred wire.

My steering column was smoking too, just started a trip from FL to MN. Thought it was a electrical problem, ended up being blowby from motor. With window cracked it would get a wisp of smoke, sometimes alot more, made a big vapor separator out of PVC pipe to fit between air cleaner and inner fender. Vapors suck into intake, oil sits in bottom of pipe until drained, longer pipe inside, steel wool then pipe at top to intake AFTER air filter. 89 XJ 158k < 30k rebuilt motor. PCV system appears to work OK, oh well.

Last edited:
This is the weirdest thread title I have ever seen! By Far

I have the same problem. I have an exhaust leak somewhere underneath, and my 1/2" blow by pipe is broken off the intake box and the opening is pointed right at the firewall (yes my master cyl is coverd in oil but atleast my intake filter isnt)

I really doubt its Electrical.. i could be wrong.. but as stated after this long, the basterd should of gone up in flames by now!:fuse:

So even though the smoke smells like exhaust and not burning wires you think it must be th ignition switch. I just really don't want to mess with the switch if I don't have to, it is a real pita for someone like me (6' 3", 290 lbs). What coould be the cause of the gassy, rich exhast smell if the smoke is caused by the switch?

Back