• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Dana 60, Good Deal?

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
Recently I stumbled on a Dana 60 for $100 and in great shape. its 65" WMS and its an 8 Lug bolt pattern. Its has factory gears at what I want for my DD, 4.10's. I'm not planning on running anything bigger than 33's and I was gonna swap to a explorer 8.8 with 4.10's but that was gonna run me about $400 total.

Would this be over kill for my DD? It's screamin good deal all over it except for the width.

01010001150401020420071111bfa778b158029e488800f6c4.jpg

meh..its over kill. with 33s the pumpkin would hang so low it would just be an anchor. if youve got the chry 8.25 right now thats plenty of axle for 33s. you could sell the d60 make a couple hundred profit and use that towards the 8.8 if you wanted

W/ 33's you may way to put a pinion skid plat on it b/c it'll drag going over speed bumps..

Major OverKill...

And really unless you plan to cut it down, switch your front axle, or run 2" spacers on each side it's gonna be more expensive in the long run...

I recommend finding a pull-a-part and grabbing an early 90's Isuzu Dana 44.. Most w/ Factory 4.10's and disc brakes... All you need to do is weld on some perches and shock tabs...

uncc civilengineer said:
W/ 33's you may way to put a pinion skid plat on it b/c it'll drag going over speed bumps..

Major OverKill...

And really unless you plan to cut it down, switch your front axle, or run 2" spacers on each side it's gonna be more expensive in the long run...

I recommend finding a pull-a-part and grabbing an early 90's Isuzu Dana 44.. Most w/ Factory 4.10's and disc brakes... All you need to do is weld on some perches and shock tabs...

been there, backed out. I had a D44 from a 95 suzu but sold it to some guy on here because of the bolt pattern. I've read up on the 8.8's being a better option.

selarep said:
been there, backed out. I had a D44 from a 95 suzu but sold it to some guy on here because of the bolt pattern. I've read up on the 8.8's being a better option.

Maybe for some.. but if you have a 6lug front axle it's hard to beat... About the same width as the 8.8, 1.5" 30 sp. shafts, discs, and no c-clips...

I've beat mine on 36" Iroks and it hasnt flinched.... we'll see what the Trepadors do to it..

Better still.. there's tons of them at local pull-a-parts.. I pulled spare shafts for 30.00...

It's a deal kinda. If it has the 35 spline shafts.

I'd pick it up and sling it under your cherokee. There isn't such thing as overkill. The bigger the better. The only drawback is it is kinda big, and may hang you up on some stuff. But if you ever put bigger tires you will never have to worry about it.

I do reccomend putting a small truss on it or welding up the tubes. Even though it's a 60, I've seen folks spin the tubes on them with just 36's.

should i get it narrowed up? how mouch does that usually cost?

selarep said:
should i get it narrowed up? how mouch does that usually cost?

yeah... 35 spline shafts it wouldnt be a bad deal... but I doubt it's 35 sp. since it's100.00...

As for narrowing... I'm not positive b/c I haven't done it but I believe you have to get some custom shafts cut... again not sure..

Back