• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ebrake handle

ebyrd10000

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my ebrake handle does anyone know if it can be done without taking the whole center console apart? just asking before i tear into it...

The center console screws have to be removed but the console can stay on and just moved up out of the way a bit (sort of like opening the hood of a car). Here’s the easiest way to remove the handle (I just did one recently) once you have to console out of the way:
1. Remove the two bolts holding the ebrake handle to the center tunnel. It will under a bit of tension and will move backwards a bit once both bolts have been removed.
2. Go under the vehicle and unhook the two cables actuating the rear brake shoes from the equalizing bar. The cables will be easy to unhook from the equalizing bar since you’ve removed the tension in step 1.
3. Now unclick the handle and remove it.

I know this is an old, thread, but can someone post how to finish the fix, and what parts are needed to be ordered. my button release and spring are broken as well. thx 91xj

while we are on the console topic, I have an 88 and I want to get off the T handle that has the button that you push in to shift from park to reverse to drive. Whats the easiest way to get that bad boy off? Do I have to take the whole shifter assembly apart?

while we are on the console topic, I have an 88 and I want to get off the T handle that has the button that you push in to shift from park to reverse to drive. Whats the easiest way to get that bad boy off? Do I have to take the whole shifter assembly apart?

if your talking about the horizontal piece at the top of the shift lever im pretty sure it just comes off if you pull hard enough? i know mine did. and i put a new one on and it worked fine. my button was broken

this?
http://www.jeepsareus.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/pn03.jpg

if your talking about the horizontal piece at the top of the shift lever im pretty sure it just comes off if you pull hard enough? i know mine did. and i put a new one on and it worked fine. my button was broken

Yank up on it hard. It will come right off. Installation is the reverse. Set it on there and smack it down.

Sweet, Ive been afraid to pull too hard, I didnt want to break it, I thought maybe there was a mechanism or something inside that could break but I couldnt find any screw or bolt holding it on.

Thanks
Rick
JeepReadyToRoll3.jpg

Back