• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake issue- very grabby/crunchy/squeaky before warmed up.

jpars

NAXJA Forum User
I have had this brake issue for months. In the morning or times when the rig has not been driven for awhile, the first couple presses on the brake produces a very grinding, sharp, grabby feeling. The rig will stop really short and hard, very grabby like/ crunchy is the best word I can describe it.

After a couple stops like that, it seems the brakes warm up, and than they are fine. They never do it after driving for awhile.

heres the weird thing- I took it in and they said the spindles were bad. they showed me one of them, and I could see where the pad had been grinding on it sort of. There was a huge scrape past where the pad should sit on it.

Long story short I got new spindles, pads, and rotors on the front. New everything.

AND IT STILL DOES IT!!!!! (although it is braking better....)

help?

thanks

Cheap brake pads and shoes absorb moisture which causes them to grab or sound funny until they warm up and dry out. Use the best quality pads and shoes the your parts store offers or try a different manufacturer.

Tim_MN said:
Cheap brake pads and shoes absorb moisture which causes them to grab or sound funny until they warm up and dry out. Use the best quality pads and shoes the your parts store offers or try a different manufacturer.

I got the new brakes like a week ago. Could they already have absorbed moisture to make this sound again? Should I go with Hawk pads or whatever the best quadratec has is?

What is odd is last winter I was in a very rainy climate and it was not doing this.

I just learned to live with it. After its been a real humid night, or raining a lot, i'll ride with the e-brake handle one or two clicks up (just enough for it begin to grab a bit), and go half a mile or so untill it's dried out.

jpars said:
I got the new brakes like a week ago. Could they already have absorbed moisture to make this sound again? Should I go with Hawk pads or whatever the best quadratec has is?

What is odd is last winter I was in a very rainy climate and it was not doing this.

New brakes - did you perform a proper break-in procedure on them ???

Brakes can absorb enough moisture overnight to do it each morning. Try the top of line stuff from NAPA on whichever end is causing you the most problems.

If the front brakes are new and good quality materials it could be the rears that are doing it. My drums do it every once in a while when it is wet. I live in SoCal so that is about 3 days a year.

in my experiance, this is usually caused by your rotors starting to rust over night. when you get in the car in the morning, it will generally cause squeaking, and sometimes grabby brakes for a few miles.

Back