• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Blow by problems...again.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Last spring, right after I bought my jeep I replaced the hoses that go to the CCV? valve and the hose that goes from the valve cover to the airbox. Almost immediately it started blowing smoke out the tail pipe something serious. Looked like I had a head gasket blown.

Now six months later after some of you suggested I replace that CCV elbow in the valve cover it does the same thing. The blow by is so serious that if I leave the hose in the intake manifold it will build up pressure to the point it blows the dipstick out of its hole.

Sound like Rings? or something else that might cause this problem. Right now I have the CCV valve line plugged and all the crank case venting is going into my airbox, which quickly fills with oil.

Since you plugged your CCV line, the vacum in the airbox sucks the oil through the filter line (front line). I'd get one of those valve cover filters at Autozone or Advanced Auto. A few things to try are a new valve cover gasket. Don't know your year or milage. Next might be AutoRX. Its an internal engine cleaner. Don't know if it will clean your rings grooves out or not. Its advertised to.
Tom

75SV1 said:
Since you plugged your CCV line, the vacum in the airbox sucks the oil through the filter line (front line). I'd get one of those valve cover filters at Autozone or Advanced Auto.
Yes, I understand this. For some reason though, without it having the serious vaccum on it like the CCV valve does, it doesn't seem to pull the raw oil into the intake.

It only seriously burns oil when I plug the CCV line back into the intake manifold.

...and you drive it like this??

Oil is not supposed to pour into your airbox or intake. Any condition that puts more than about a tablespoon of oil in your intake is a problem. I admit that XJ's are prone to some blow-by but seriously, fix it.

DrMoab said:
Yes, I understand this. For some reason though, without it having the serious vaccum on it like the CCV valve does, it doesn't seem to pull the raw oil into the intake.

It only seriously burns oil when I plug the CCV line back into the intake manifold.

I'd pull the valve cover and inspect the top end for oil build up. I'm guessing there's a bunch and along with it goes more oil pooled up for the CCV to suck into the intake. Mine did the same thing and a "super cleaning" of the rockers, valve cover, and assorted CCV hoses helped a bunch!

--Shorty

Dr. Moab,

I had a similar problem years ago and tried many bandaid fixes. When I finally tore down my engine to rebuild it, I found a broken ring.

I've had engines in the past that all of a sudden started blowing oil. When I pulled the pistons, I found the rings were coated with lacquer deposits from the gasoline and were stuck tightly in the piston grooves and not able to expand and seal against the cylinder walls. This allowed excessive oil blowby past the rings. After I simply sprayed the rings with Gumout (a proper solvent for gasoline lacquers), waited a few minutes, I watched the rings pop out of the piston grooves and thereafter I had no more oil blow-by problems. I now periodically pull my plugs, spray two cans of Gumout into all the cylinders, let it set awhile to free the rings in the piston grooves, and then fire it up. On start-up you'll blow some smoke out the exhaust, but then the engine will run properly. This typically frees any stuck rings in the piston grooves. The excess Gumout that drains into the oil pan will evaporate very quickly. Try this Gumout trick on you engine and see if this frees up any rings stuck in the piston grooves and see if it stops the oil blowby. If it doesn't, then most likely you've got a broken ring. Good luck! Hope this helps.

Best regards,

CJR

ParadiseXJ said:
...and you drive it like this??

Oil is not supposed to pour into your airbox or intake. Any condition that puts more than about a tablespoon of oil in your intake is a problem. I admit that XJ's are prone to some blow-by but seriously, fix it.
Seriously, who are you to talk to me like that and tell me what to do?

This jeep sees exactly 0 miles on the highway and only about a 1000 miles a year off road.

Grow up and learn to treat people a little better.

Back