• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ASD Relay

92blazn

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up a 93 XJ Auto, It will turn over no fire.... New Coil, Rotor, Cap, Plugs, and Wire still no spark.

So we find out the ASD Relay is kicking on and off real fast while trying to start and is killing fuel pump and telling Coil no spark. Now if we take the starter Relay and swap with ASD it will fire for about 2-3 sec's and trip that relay again :cry:
We pulled the NSS going to clean it tonight or tomorrow and try again.... But we think this is not the issue?

Any one else know what we might me over looking that might keep tripping the relay :eyes:

any help would be great.

eD

The Crank position sensor is what you should be looking at.If the PCM does not recieve that signal first nothing else happens.
Wayne

Leave the key on and see if the ASD relay will latch on then. If it does your capacitors are likely bad in your ECU. I'm soldering new ones in an ECU for a wrangler that was giving the same problems. You can also pull the cover on the ECU and see if you notice some brown ooze coming out of the caps.

jeepngeorge said:
Leave the key on and see if the ASD relay will latch on then. If it does your capacitors are likely bad in your ECU. I'm soldering new ones in an ECU for a wrangler that was giving the same problems. You can also pull the cover on the ECU and see if you notice some brown ooze coming out of the caps.

Brand new CPS still getting no place.....

I have found out pull the relay out stick it back in (ASD) turn key to on it will send 12 volts to coil, but go to start and will crank for maybe 2-3 sec's and shut its self down. and every time you turn key and hold while engine rolls over the relay is clicking not allowing spark!!!!:gag:

computer my guess? POS

Ok Sat we checked the CPS with volt meter on the OHM's and works perfect, Checked the Camshaft Position sensor , perfect volts in and out!! So either its the ECU/PCM or the guy I bought it off of has the distributor 180 deg off and the CPS and Camshaft PS is throwing the relay ??? O cleaned the NSS out and cont contacts all looking new and it works good

only reason think maybe 180 deg off is bought it from this kid does not look like he new how to replace parts and never got it started , but this kid feed me lies so really not sure what he did ?? found these parts new and just replaced
Distributor, distributor cap, rotor, plugs, wires, CPS .... hmmm but either its 180 deg off or ECU? going to roll it around top dead center and so on and see .... shoot for this weekend

the ASD Relay is kicking on and off real fast while trying to start and is killing fuel pump

Or the fuel pump won't come up to pressure and kicks out the ASD. The 93 is a Chryco OBD injection system. I'd hot wire the pump at a connector and make sure it's working. If the previous owner ran it out of gas, he may have fried the pump.

Do you hit the key and hear the pump pressurize the fuel line before cranking? If not, the ASD kicks out on start.

Check the fuel filter rubber lines - if it was replaced, they are really tight, a flap of rubber could have been cut and is stopping flow. If one was replaced, not the other, it may be low pressure carb fuel hose internally collapsing.

Aside from the ECU, it acts like something simple and deceptive at this point.

TiRod said:
the ASD Relay is kicking on and off real fast while trying to start and is killing fuel pump

Or the fuel pump won't come up to pressure and kicks out the ASD. The 93 is a Chryco OBD injection system. I'd hot wire the pump at a connector and make sure it's working. If the previous owner ran it out of gas, he may have fried the pump.

Do you hit the key and hear the pump pressurize the fuel line before cranking? If not, the ASD kicks out on start.

Check the fuel filter rubber lines - if it was replaced, they are really tight, a flap of rubber could have been cut and is stopping flow. If one was replaced, not the other, it may be low pressure carb fuel hose internally collapsing.

Aside from the ECU, it acts like something simple and deceptive at this point.

na we are getting fuel pressure good, and you can here fuel pump come on when you go to start it sounds like a chevy lol......

and you check pressure by the fire wall it will shoot out

pull the ECU and have a peek at it. Check the capacitors (should be three) for brown goo oozing from them or swelling. I had the same symptoms on a '91 and it turned out to be those pesky capacitors.

Does the check engine light come on right away when you turn the key on? If not leave the key in the on position until it lights up. Then see if it'll get fire.

I just did a moter swap and it was doing the same thing turn over but not start with realays clicking it turned out to be some loose ground wires a bunch of small ones just behind the distributer I as soon as I got them all tight it started up.

LSMOPARS said:
I just did a moter swap and it was doing the same thing turn over but not start with realays clicking it turned out to be some loose ground wires a bunch of small ones just behind the distributer I as soon as I got them all tight it started up.
I check those ground they are good to go, but found the main ground from fire wall to engine was not connected :scared: but got it on and tight now still same thing..... I just wish new what this lazy person that owned it had done!!!

going thru see any other ground disconected but have not found any but the main one.

Back