• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it possible?

XJ_Owner

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 1985 Jeep Cherokee with a crappy a$$ 2.8L and i was woundering would it be possible to swap it out for a 4.0L? and if so what year should I take the 4.0l out or would that not even matter? Because if it just a waste of time or what not then should I just go buy a different jeep with a 4.0 in it?

If it were me I would sell yours for as much as you can get.
Then purchase a Jeep with 4.0 (and what ever else might be important to you) to start from.

I would be shocked if a Junk Yard would give you much of anything (but scrap value) for your Jeep. You are better off selling it privately.

Michael

Or you could donate it to your favorite charity and write it off come income tax time.

XJ_Owner said:
Ok I have a 1985 Jeep Cherokee with a crappy a$$ 2.8L and i was woundering would it be possible to swap it out for a 4.0L? and if so what year should I take the 4.0l out or would that not even matter? Because if it just a waste of time or what not then should I just go buy a different jeep with a 4.0 in it?

Pop hood of your 2.8 next to a 4.0. Note differences in firewall (among other things).

Your answer lies within that firewall.

ECKSJAY said:
Pop hood of your 2.8 next to a 4.0. Note differences in firewall (among other things).

Your answer lies within that firewall.

Yep, The engine compartment is shorter.

You can fit a 90* chevy V-6, like a 4.3 liter in there, but why? Starting with a 4.0 is a better option.

A newer chevy 60* v-6, like your 2.8, but larger and fuel injected could be an option if you have time, patience, and money to swap everything over from a donor. Almost as much work as a 4.3 swap, but less power. Again, why?

I put a 4.0L into an 85. The firewall is not that big of a deal. It can be fixed with a BFH in a couple of minutes. The hood and front radiator supports/headlight supports have to be swapped over and welded in. The biggest hassle is the wiring switch over. Sell your 85 and buy a 4.0L. It will end up saving you a ton of time and money.

I put a 4.0L into an 85. The firewall is not that big of a deal. It can be fixed with a BFH in a couple of minutes. The hood and front radiator supports/headlight supports have to be swapped over and welded in. The biggest hassle is the wiring switch over. Sell your 85 and buy a 4.0L. It will end up saving you a ton of time and money.

I think with the price of HO model year Cherokee's now, there's no point in doing that swap anymore.

There are several HO Cherokee's in our area on CL for under $1K. I sold my 92 the other night for 800 bucks, and saw a similar one for 900 on there.

yea it should, all it needs is a tune up but the front windshield wipers dont work (due to wiring, I am 80% sure) and the 4x4 dont work but thats an easy replacement from the junkyard.

but other than that it runs and drives great and could get you from point A to point B with no troubles. not only that, it has low miles... like only 179K
and emissions.... lol srry I forgot what that is :p

In my opinion, after selling a rolled '89 4.0L 5 spd for $1k, I think any running driving vehicle is worth in the $500-$1000 range, if everything is decent on the car. Personally the most I would pay for a 2.8L with non-opp 4 wheel drive is really close to the $4-500 mark, but put it on craigslist or similar for $1000 and see what happens.

In my opinion the thing that kills you is the 2.8L I have never ever heard a single positive thing about that motor, correct me if I am wrong.

omg I could sell my jeep for $950..... ppl wanted to buy my jeep but I need to have another car right off the bat before I can sell it, cuz I need to have a car. well but yea $950 for that thing... some ppl must want it to do something to it I guess :p

Back