• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

explorer locking hubs?

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
this is probably a no go according to research I did, but has anyone seriously looked into putting ford explorer hubs on their D30 axle? I have found conflicting info on whether or not there are locking hubs available (warn doesn't list any but on some explorer forums they talk about conversion kits).

the big benefit of course would be having manual locking hubs and keeping the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

Any idea as to why those aren't recommended for greater than 32" tires (according to the link)? Or is that just a statement about 5 on 4.5" in general?

dbroudy said:
Any idea as to why those aren't recommended for greater than 32" tires (according to the link)? Or is that just a statement about 5 on 4.5" in general?

Crappy teeny tiny plastic part (standard) hubs. Get the bigger bolt pattern and you get the bigger (premium) hubs. :D

sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. i am aware that there is a locking hub conversion kit for the jeep D30 but apparently it is over $1000?

I was wondering, since the explorers have the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, has anyone attempted to get some explorer front axle parts with locking hubs (knuckles out?) and mated them to the XJ D30? I read on some explorer forum that the conversion kit and locking hubs are only $300 for the explorer...
If the explorer knuckles will go on the XJ D30, maybe junkyard explorer knuckles are a possibility?

And if it is a possibility, maybe I can graft a 5 on 4.5 hub onto the D44 that I am building so that i don't have to replace the 8.8 that I already installed in back... I know its a really long shot but....maybe someone has done it....

fuzzydog said:
And if it is a possibility, maybe I can graft a 5 on 4.5 hub onto the D44 that I am building so that i don't have to replace the 8.8 that I already installed in back...

Seems like it'd be easier to swap shafts in the 8.8 or have them modified to the correct bolt pattern...and get new wheels. You'd be better off in the front that way. What kind of 44 is it?

the D44 is out of a 1980 cherokee chief widetrack. I also have the matching AMC20 rear but it has drums and needs to be regeared/locked. The 8.8 I have now has 4.10s, LSD and discs. and the LSD works very well.

decisions...decisions.... on the one hand I would love to build up that AMC20. ARB and 4.88s are readily available but there is no 'bolt on' disc conversion for it. But on the other hand that 8.8 is plenty beefy for anything I will do.

The cherokee chief is 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern

I might just ditch the whole setup and go with a ford fullsize setup with a high pin D44 and 9" rear....

Get the Milemarker D30 manual hub conversion kit instead. It's cheaper and it's pre-assembled and has alloy stubs in the box with the 760X joints. Saves a lot of time, money, and energy. I have this kit and so does a friend of mine. We have had no issues with it.

Last edited:
I am presntly trying to do this conversion (explorer - D30). So far I have found I will need rotors from a early 90's 4x4 Ranger (Explorer rotors 10.9 dia), manual hub locks, nut kit (tis Explorer had auto hubs). Late YJ inner axles (?) as Ford used 297 u-jounts, my XJ is an 88 with 260 u-joints. So far I have pressed apart a XJ unit bearing, and machined down a Explorer spindle. This weekend I will check the spacing and axle shaft stuff. This is not a high abuse set-up. If you want that 80- Cherokee, Wagoneer narow track (without fender flares) are about the same width as the D30, and diff is on drivers side & D44. CJ D30 & most D44 the ball joints are part of the spindle. XJ D30 ball joints are part of the axle. contact me off list for more info. [email protected]

Back