• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modified Hella 500's? HID

I've never seen 500's with it, but I know KC Daylighters take them like a champ. After seeing how thin the Hella's are I would be sceptical about a fit. However, any bulb manufacturer should be able to provide specs on the bulb length.

That place wants $400/pr...:huh:
I purchased a set of hella 500 driving lights at wally world for $63.23 before tax. You can also purchase 6000k H3 HID bulbs and ballasts for less than $200 if you know how to shop. Just helpin' to stretch the bux.

Ebay has a lot of cheap HID stuff, but you really have to be careful with chinese no-name crap. Especially electronics. It may work great for the first month, but who knows after that. I would go with some re-based Hella, Bosch, Phillips, Valeo, etc. bulbs and ballasts.

... Bi-xenon has nothing to do with a "kit". It's the type of projectors used. Here's the schpeel:

HID's don't like to be turned on and off rapidly. Sure, some do when you hit the unlock button on your keypad, but those are only D2R bulbs, a totally different story. So anyway, with the bulbs liking a constant on powerflow, manufacturers have designed halogen high beams, so the HID's can stay on while the high beams are on.

This is where bi-x comes in. Instead of having excellent low beams and crappy halogen high beams, companies decided to design projectors that utilize both low and high beams. When the high beams are applied, the projector essentially flips over so that a different optic is used. Nothing to do with the bulb, ballast, or even ignitors.

So by buying the $96 "bi-xenon" kit, you are getting nothing extra but the shaft...

Sorry dantheman but you are not totally corect. Bi-xenon conversion kits actually use a solenoid to angle the xenon bulb a few degrees up and down to give the effect of a second high beam filament. You are correct factory installed bixenons do use a shutter setup which blocks the top half of the bulb until the high beam is turned on when it will allow all of the light to go through the lense. I would know i have been a mechanic at a BMW dealership for a few years now and we deal with xenon light issues quite frequently. So there is a difference between normal and bixenon kits not just the price!!!

i have been a mechanic at a BMW dealership for a few years now and we deal with xenon light issues quite frequently

So that's a BMW employee saying that BMW has poor quality lights? I thought they were supposed to be top-notch? I have a Jeep Cherokee, and haven't had any problems with my headlights, even being HID's :)

vtech...

Bi-xenon conversion kits actually use a solenoid to angle the xenon bulb a few degrees up and down to give the effect of a second high beam filament.

So what you're saying is it just "gives the effect" of having high-beams? Sounds useless to me.

Last edited:
So what you're saying is it just "gives the effect" of having high-beams? Sounds useless to me.

In all honesty the work great! I have the bi-xenon in my XJ now. The kits that guy sells are great. Im a retailer and the kits we used to sell cost us twice as much. Now we can pass the savings on to the customer.

ah hah so I was right, to a certain point lol...

but i still don't understand how the bi-x "kit" works. I mean either way if you put the bulbs in a reflector based housing, glare is going to be everywhere.

DanMan2k06 said:
ah hah so I was right, to a certain point lol...

but i still don't understand how the bi-x "kit" works. I mean either way if you put the bulbs in a reflector based housing, glare is going to be everywhere.

There is a focusing shield around the bulb. They point straight ahead when low beams are on. When you flash to hig beams the bulb tilts up which focuses the beam higher which gives you more distance.

jforse said:
There is a focusing shield around the bulb. They point straight ahead when low beams are on. When you flash to hig beams the bulb tilts up which focuses the beam higher which gives you more distance.

Exactly. Not only more distance, but a different pattern also.

See this thread:http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=930712

Does anyone know the length of an HID H3 bulb from where it sits flush on the light to the tip of the glass. Im trying to fit them in a hella 500 housing but there is not much room to play with and i dont wanna dish out the cash if the bulb doesnt fit in the housing.

No dan you're still wrong. See this thread:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=947557&page=2&highlight=xenon

Those are VVME bi-xenon h4's

IMG_5101.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

Also see this video:

http://www.teamvigilante.com/HID/hi-lo behind.WMV

BEST purchase I've made to date.

Back