• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle install question

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Heyas, folks!
Well, I just got myself some Teraflex 1.5" shackles and shortly after getting my heep up on stands, I hit a point of curiosity:
I can't access or feel any fasteners on inside of the frame-side mount, where stock shackle mounts to hanger. Do I need to remove gas skid + trailer hitch and access the mystery nut or can I just apply torque and get on with things?
Thanks, all...

Just start going to town. The nut on the inside of the frame is welded in place, so the bolt will come out once you get going to work. Sometimes they can be a pain in the rear, but you'll get by.

:gee:
And here I just got impatient (losing daylight) and unbolted gas tank skid + tow hitch... I'll go ahead and thank the lord for my sense of humor right here...:doh:

if you woulda searched would woulda found your answer...
use lots of heat and pb plaster or youll break those nut inserts...then you have a problem

Actually, I did search. Not sure which terms you used that I didn't but I couldn't find anything usefull.
Pblaster is my new best friend - I've already given them one dose and I'll leave another to soak in over night.
Thanks for the info, folks!

yossarian19 said:
Actually, I did search. Not sure which terms you used that I didn't but I couldn't find anything usefull.
Pblaster is my new best friend - I've already given them one dose and I'll leave another to soak in over night.
Thanks for the info, folks!

I ended up using a combination of heat, 3/4" drive ratchet, impact, and pb blaster to get mine out.

Drilling some access holes in the rear quarters was key, the holes are big enough to get a 1/2" extension through, put socket on on the other side and impact away, that is if you don't mind a couple little holes.

I don't even bother jacking the rear end up anymore to change shackles. I insert the useless factory bottle jack (useless for changing tires anyways) between the shackle spring end of the leafs and the unibody frame and crank it up to take pressure off the spring. Also helps to use a couple of C-clamps to anchor the bottle jack down on both ends so it can't slip. This is also great when you stick your longer shackle on to jack the spring end down until the bolt holes line up. 30 minutes per side max..........:clap:

Back