• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine Light

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, i know that there are other threads on this, but what would all the causes be for this to come on. My jeep was running fine 2 days ago, then shortly after i started it today the ligt came on. Everything sounds and ran fine, i dont have a temp gauge or tac so the only way that i know if my temps are wrong is if it over heats. I am in Vermont right now and i have a feeling that the cold has something to do with this. It is a '98 4.0.

109ace said:
Ok, i know that there are other threads on this, but what would all the causes be for this to come on. My jeep was running fine 2 days ago, then shortly after i started it today the ligt came on. Everything sounds and ran fine, i dont have a temp gauge or tac so the only way that i know if my temps are wrong is if it over heats. I am in Vermont right now and i have a feeling that the cold has something to do with this. It is a '98 4.0.

There is a listing of OBD-I and OBD-II codes that I've culled from the various FSMs on my website - in the Tech section.

However, you're still going to have to get the code "pulled" somewhere, since there are literally myriad causes to have the light come on (and as many causes that would set codes without turning the CEL on...) Without knowing what codes you have set, asking "Why is my CEL on?" is like asking "How high is up?"

As far as getting gages - I believe that OBD-II XJs can have the job done by a simple cluster swap from another OBD-II XJ - as the gages and lamps are all driven by the CAN bus for OBD-II anyhow. Something else to think about (I'm sure you'll find out more if you search - I think it's been covered before.)

Without listing the 100's of reasons that your light came on, I will give you 2 bits of advice...

1) Check your gas cap. A loose or missing gas cap will make it come on.

2) Find an Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, or similar parts store that checks your codes for free.

Hope that sets you in the right direction.

Like 5-90 said, you're going to need to have the code pulled. You can take the Jeep to any Autozone and they will pull the codes for free for you. This will then tell you what to look at replacing.

109ace said:
Thanks, i am going to have the codes pulled tomorrow and see what is wrong

Good idea! When you get the codes, you can compare the description that they give you to the ones from the FSM (listed on my site, as I said.) You should also be able to see which code (if you have more than one) tripped your CEL - since there are "hard" codes (that illuminate the CEL) and "soft" codes (which do not.)

You would probably be well advised to pick up a basic OBD-II reader - they run $100-150, and will pay for themselves in short order once you have something significant go wrong (either in saved labour from doing it yourself, or saved labour from knowing what's gone wrong when you pay someone else.)

I will look into one of those, i was looking at the different codes and i have a feeling that i may know what it is, the jeep isnt used to being in the cold, i am not from vermont and it is freezing here so hopfully it was just that it didnt reach operating. i am trying to learn as much about this motot and electrical as i can since i would prefer to do most the work. your site has a lot of good info

109ace said:
I will look into one of those, i was looking at the different codes and i have a feeling that i may know what it is, the jeep isnt used to being in the cold, i am not from vermont and it is freezing here so hopfully it was just that it didnt reach operating. i am trying to learn as much about this motot and electrical as i can since i would prefer to do most the work. your site has a lot of good info

Thank you. It's driven by enthusiasts - so if enough people ask me for something that isn't up there, it will find its way up eventually. I'm trying to make a "one-stop shop" for working Jeep tech information...

Back