• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Starting and Stumbling problems

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
I have spent a lot of time searching for what the real issue could be, but havent really found anyone out there with my exact problem, or everyone else has an older jeep with a distributor. So the problem...about a week ago i shut my jeep off, got out for a minute and then started it back up again, it stumbled around like it was going to die, pressing on the gas didnt help the problem but it evened itself out after a minute and drove fine. No problems since. (figured it could have been a vapor issue) Got in to start my jeep this morning and it wouldnt start, turned over just fine, so i turned the key off and turned it back on again, started just fine. Happenned again at lunch. Im pretty sure its either between the fuel system (which i believe has the filter, pump and relay all in one unit in the gas tank) or my ignition system, which doesnt have a distributor. I put new spark plugs in it about 5,000 miles ago, so i know they are good but have never changed my distributor rail (or whatever they call it), or my fuel pump. Its a 2000 with 210,000 miles and also has the typical fuel gauge not working problem that i have lived with for awhile. Dont have a jeep dealership around that i trust, and would really like to take care of it myself. Any tips, suggestions, previous experience. I only have a craftsmen set of basic tools, no gauges or anything else to help diagnose. Thanks
Also i have never been able to hear my fuel pump turn on since it came from the dealership so checking that sound odd to me

The stumbling after starting is from heat soak. There is a recall for this, it involves a foil covered foam that is installed between the fuel rail and the intake manifold. This fix doesnt fix it and is a waste of time.

Do you have a check engine light on at all?

The next time you start it turn off the radio and A/C, then turn your key to the run posistion but do not start it. You will hear your fuel pump prime.

If it is starting then I wouldnt be to alarmed. Check your crank posistion sensor for frayed wires. Then look at the Cam posistion sensor to see if it has rotated out of zero degrees.

My 2000 started with the symptoms you have described and progressively got worse and cost a lot of money. Here is a thread with links to other threads about my problems, I hope that you do not have the same problems I had.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87377

If it is starting then dont get worried.

Thanks for boggling my mind there.....
I know its still starting, but my fear is if my fuel pump goes out, im on the side of the road, so i want to be preventative in all ways possible, i just cant handle not knowing a family member is running at 100%

My 01 will do this once in awhile if it's hot and I shut it off for a couple minutes and then restart it. Seems like it has the updates for the recall but does not cure the issue.....

I have had this happen once, after playing in the dunes, stopped to take a short break, maybe 5 minutes. Went to start it back up and it was running really rough. Gave it a little gas until it smoothed out and was running fine afterwards. Haven't had it happen again since. Friend I was out with said it was not that uncommon and another buddy had the same problem.

Not sure how to fix but so far it has been minor enough to not cause me problems. Actually, the battery draining after sitting for a week or so is more frustrating or the intermittant A/C not working problem. Oh well, it's a Jeep. :D

When I first got my 2000 XJ (bought used), it did the same thing...run rough after a warm startup...however, after fixing the coolant leak in the head...block seal and running some lucas fuel system clear...it hasn't had a problem since.

Back