• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ brake line Kit for my XJ ?

dan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've been looking into upgrading my brake lines to SS braided lines.. and also because I need longer ones. I lifted my XJ about 3-3.5". My rubber lines are cracking so they gotta go. I dont want to relocate the hardlines.

I can't seem to find very many kits for the XJ.. but I've found YJ kits for pretty cheap. YJ lines will fit XJ correct ?

Stock YJ lines are longer than stock XJ lines correct ? Anyone know by how much ?

I found this YJ kit:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22707_102.htm

for 4" lifted YJ. Will these lines be too long for me ? I like this kit because of the well known brand and it says DOT. Other kits dont seem to mention this information.

If you want to go a cheaper route then get stock YJ front lines and a stock 96 dakota rear line from an auto part store. I got them for about $50. The front lines were about 3 inches longer and the rear was about 6 inches longer.

YJ lines will work, I am running stock YJ lines on my XJ with 6" of lift with no issues. I also straightened the hard line on the front to get another 2 or 3" out of it. The stock YJ one works in the rear as well.

ok i have to ask. i looked into the "cheap" extension using stock YJ brake lines, and buy the time i buy the 2 front lines and the rear line i'm at almost $70. for that much i can buy longer better SS extended brake lines. so why does everybody think getting the stock YJ lines is cheaper???

the other thing i noted is that the YJ line isn't flexible all the way. most of the extension comes in form of that little metal tube at the caliper being longer. personally i want more length in the flex department and not the rigid metal tube.

and for Dan89XJ......yes YJ and TJ lines will work on your XJ

scorpio_vette said:
ok i have to ask. i looked into the "cheap" extension using stock YJ brake lines, and buy the time i buy the 2 front lines and the rear line i'm at almost $70. for that much i can buy longer better SS extended brake lines. so why does everybody think getting the stock YJ lines is cheaper???

the other thing i noted is that the YJ line isn't flexible all the way. most of the extension comes in form of that little metal tube at the caliper being longer. personally i want more length in the flex department and not the rigid metal tube.
The reason I got the factory brakelines was they were in stock at the local autozone and in my case they were cheaper than stainless hoses.

scorpio_vette said:

and for Dan89XJ......yes YJ and TJ lines will work on your XJ

The OEM lines front and rear were about half the cost of my RE lines, and allowed plenty of travel for my short arm kit. With long arms allowing more droop, I began stretching the YJ lines.

I run 10" travel shocks with the upper conversion just so you know how far down my axle is going.

Back