• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal Fill Plug = D44

waskie

NAXJA Forum User
For quick ID determining between a D35 and D44 could I assume metal fill plug = D44 in an XJ?

Do a google image search......The 35 is a little more oval shaped. I think some of the really old 35s had metal plugs; not sure though.

waskie said:
For quick ID determining between a D35 and D44 could I assume metal fill plug = D44 in an XJ?

No, because I've got five D35's with metal fill plugs.

The rubber "butt plug" was more common on the ChryCo axles anyhow.

The Dana 35 has a more oval shape to the cover, while the D44 is more of a lopsided hexagon, resting on a point at the bottom. There are a number of picture guides online - look for Yuccaman's, you should find the link around here somewhere.

5-90 said:
No, because I've got five D35's with metal fill plugs.

Ok, I found two XJs in a local boneyard and did a quick look at the axles and noticed the metal fill plugs and thought I may have hit the jackpot. I'll go back and take a closer look, I've got a D44s in my '75 Cherokee for reference.

The non-clip D35s used a metal plug. It's also lower on the cover so you can't just swap it onto a c-clip D35. The non-clip had greased axle bearings and the c-clip uses the gear oil to lube the axle bearings.

Back